Chapter 2

McCoy ran his medical scanner over Muriah and he shrugged as he looked over at Spock, “She’s a fit young woman. Aside from the fact that she can hear as well as you do she’s the picture of health.” McCoy picked up another whirling device and after a few moments McCoy smiled at Muriah, “Mister Spock, can take you back to his quarters now.”

McCoy studied the date disc on Muriah’s brain waves, wondering what fishing expedition Spock had sent him on this time and then something caught McCoy’s attention, something that made his heart race and his face pale. McCoy ran over to the wall signal and jabbed it harshly, “Spock, you need to get up here now and you’d better let Jim know what’s ….”

McCoy jumped when he heard Kirk’s voice behind him. “I am starting to say this far too much lately, better let Jim know what?”

Spock had quietly entered the room and when he spoke McCoy and Kirk both jumped, “Have you found something, Doctor?”

McCoy nodded, “You’re not going to like it.”

Kirk had enough double-talk, “Would someone tell me what the hell is going on here?”

McCoy grinned sideways at Kirk, “Spock, has taken in a stray and she is half-human, half-Vulcan, or was.”

Spock stiffened, “What do you mean was, Doctor?”

McCoy felt Spock’s discomfort and sighed, “I went over her data discs again. She’s been genetically re-altered. It’s a superb job; I’ve never seen anything like it. A tri-recorder couldn’t pick up the difference. I’m sorry Spock, but brain waves don’t lie.”

When Spock spoke, his voice was tight with undisguised tension, “Doctor, the only beings capable of that technology approximately twenty years ago would have been Vulcans. Doctor, are you certain? For these implications are distressing.”

Kirk stared at Spock and McCoy as he struggled to catch up. Spock seemed to retreat further into his Vulcan shell. The room was silent and they could hear Nurse Chapel speaking in the other room. Her muted laughter drifted into McCoy’s office and McCoy wished he could be anywhere but where he was at the moment.

Kirk was the first to recover, “I need to meet this person to make sure she is not a danger to the Enterprise and Spock you and Doctor McCoy need to do more research. For if your data is correct, this could jeopardize Vulcan’s standing in the Federation. Gentleman, let me meet this person and then you two need to discretely find out what the hell is going on. Genetic alteration is against Federation law and whoever did this must be brought to justice.”

Spock looked perplexed,  “It is possible that I know who this child is.”

When he didn’t continue Kirk snapped, “Spock now would be the time to tell us, out with it.”

Spock nodded and told the story that had been locked away in his memory.

Spock and the Child

Spock met the child the day that he had told his father that he wanted to join Star-Fleet. His father had strongly disagreed and it was on that afternoon that he, Spock, had gone to hear a small Vulcan child play a concert at the Vulcan Academy of Music. Spock stood on a balcony overlooking the entrance of the Vulcan Academy of Music, night descended as Vulcan’s blood-red sun disappeared past a harsh sandy horizon. It was a peaceful scene that was suddenly pierced by a scream. Spock tensed, for it was the cry of a T’Malya. He looked down into the open courtyard below where several small Vulcan children ran for shelter.

A Vulcan child stood behind a white pillar, as she opened her mouth another shriek filled the air. As the Vulcan children ran in terror, the other child sat down and began to laugh, but quickly stopped when she saw Spock watching her. Spock quietly descended the stairs and stood before the child, studying her with a curious expression. She was dressed in the casual dress of a non-city dweller. Her auburn hair was cropped close to her head; giving her the appearance of a pixie.

“Are you going to tell the authorities about the T’Malya cry?” She asked Spock bluntly.

Spock was taken by surprise, for he had expected the child to run. “Why did you scare the children?” Spock asked.

The child studied Spock with a wary expression and her blue eyes were filled with pain. “The children make fun of me. They say I am not Vulcan. They are partially correct, for I am half human.”

Spock walked closer to the child, for even though he knew that there were other half-Vulcan children, he had never met one. “I am Spock and I also share your heritage.”

The child opened her mouth to say something, but was interrupted by a soft voice calling her name. “T’Vesth, are you out there?” A tall blonde Vulcan man strode gracefully into the courtyard. “T’Vesth, some of the children reported the cries of a T’Mayla. You must come in, for it is not safe and you must also prepare for your concert.”

T’Vesth scuffed her toe on the smooth surface of the stone courtyard.  “Yes, father.”

T’Vesth’s father nodded towards Spock as he hurried the child along and T’Vesth paused and glanced back at Spock. “I hope I will see you at my concert, Spock”

Spock nodded in her direction, “I will be there.”

Spock sighed as he brought himself back to the present, “I was to learn that a few weeks later the child and her parents were killed. Disgrace surrounded the murders, and so no one spoke of them.” Spock said softly.

Kirk and McCoy looked at each other in confusion. “That didn’t tell us a damn thing, Spock.” McCoy snapped irritably.

Spock was about to reply when Kirk interrupted him, “Gentlemen, I have to tell Star-Fleet something. Why would Vulcans want to genetically re-alter a half-human, half-Vulcan child?”

McCoy stepped forward, “Maybe it wasn’t the Vulcans who did this. Maybe some other party was in on it.”

Kirk leaned closer to McCoy. “Bones, you’re missing the point. Why was this child so important? What was different about her and why didn’t someone try to re-alter Spock?”

McCoy snorted, “As far as I’m concerned he already has been re-altered.”

“Gentlemen,” Kirk barked, “stop the bickering and until we find out if this person is not a threat to the Enterprise I want her contained.”

McCoy bounced on his heels, “She can stay here in sick-bay. She is such a charming young lady. You should have seen the way she disemboweled a Klingon.”

Kirk folded his arms across his chest, “Are you quite through, Bones and what do the Klingons have to do with all this?”

McCoy snapped his mouth shut and sulkily retreated to the corner of the room.

Kirk rolled his eyes and walked over to where Spock stood brooding.“Well, Mister Spock, let’s meet this woman and the mystery that you and the good Doctor have gotten us into.”