The Vulcan Mystics

The ancient city looked as if it had risen from the sand of its own accord. It was magnificent. Kirk gasped. He was glad that he had not flown over in a hover craft, snapped a few pictures then left. Walking up to one of the pillars, Kirk laid his hand on its smooth cool surface. Its greenish hue reflected many hand carvings in circular patterns. Most were battle scenes, however quite a few were of a sensual nature. Kirk whistled as he moved his head at an angle to get a better view. "Wow, these put the Kuma Sutra to shame," Kirk thought as his face flushed. Then Kirk smiled as he thought about how Spock and McCoy would react to the different positions of the couples and...groups of lovers. A slight footstep to his right made Kirk whirl around in a defensive position.

The Vulcan guide stood watching Kirk with a slight look of amusement. "Captain, I see you are enjoying the artwork."

Kirk's face flushed a deep red as he cleared his throat. "Yes, they appear to quite educational."

"Hmm, fascinating, would you care to elaborate?" The Vulcan asked as he observed Kirk with an innocent placid expression.

At any other time Kirk would have loved to engage the Vulcan in a verbal duel, but he had a purpose-a purpose that needed to be fulfilled. "Some other time perhaps, this visit is more than educational. I am on a personal quest."

The Vulcan nodded as his dark eyes bore into Kirk's hazel ones. "You have come to see the mystics, am I correct?"

Kirk nodded silently. The Vulcan paced with his hands behind his back. The gesture was so much like Spock that Kirk felt a pang of homesickness for the Enterprise and the comradery of his First Officer-his friend. "Captain, a quest to see the mystics can be dangerous even for a Vulcan, let alone a human."

The expression in Kirk's eyes hardened. "Are you saying that the mystics won't see me because I'm human?"

The Vulcan raised an eyebrow. "Captain, no being is ever rejected by the mystics. It's just that the human psyche is so fragile."

Kirk clenched his jaw as he faced the Vulcan. "I'm tougher than most humans."

The Vulcan observed Kirk for a moment or two and then motioned for Kirk to follow him. Kirk's heart pounded in his chest, like it did before a dangerous mission. He and the Vulcan walked together for a few paces. Kirk frowned in frustration, for no matter how hard he tried he could not achieve the rhythm that he and Spock had acquired as they walked through the decks of the Enterprise.

The Vulcan then stopped so abruptly that Kirk almost ran into him. The building they stood in front of was made of the same green stone as the pillars. The Vulcan noted Kirk's admiration. "This stone was indigenous to Vulcan back when this temple was built. However, its proprieties have long since vanished from the planet. There are some that say the stone was created from the blood of ancient Vulcan warriors."

Kirk ran his hand along the surface of the building. It felt moist-living. Kirk was so intent on the texture of the stone that he jumped when a gong sounded. The Vulcan motioned for Kirk to step forward as two copper gates swung open. Kirk stepped through the gates and into a courtyard. In the middle of the courtyard burned a fire, its flames had a hypnotic effect. Kirk stared at it for a moment or two. Then he blinked to dispel the feeling of disorientation that swept over him. Kirk looked around for the Vulcan guide but he was nowhere to be seen. Kirk was alone.