The Death Meld

Whatever Sarek was going to say became drowned out by the whine of a transporter beam. The last thing Sarek saw was Kirk's cocky grin. As they materialized on the bridge Commander Talerth stepped forward. "Greetings Captain, Ambassador, I have just ordered the Romulan fleet to stand down, while we negotiate.

>>>

Kirk grinned as he ran his hands over the smooth polished surface of the conference table. "Ladies and Gentlemen Star-Fleet and the Romulan government have agreed to let the Enterprise escort Muriah to Vulcan. So, it appears as if our little adventure is at an end."

Talerth bowed his head, "So, it would seem Captain. Sarek, it is a pity that we must part as adversaries once more for I have found your company to be most enlightening." Sarek bowed in acknowledgement. "Oh Ambassador there is something that I want to give you," Sarek said as he motioned for a Centurion to come forward. He took an object from the Centurion's hands and gave it to Sarek. Sarek's eyes widened when he saw what the object was, for it was the Vulcan Statue he had admired in the Commander's quarters. "Sarek, I want you to have it for the statue belongs on Vulcan."

Sarek shook his head. "I cannot possibly accept such a valuable gift."

Talerth smiled. "Ambassador, consider it a reminder that the past and present are not so far apart and perhaps someday this will lead to peace between our peoples."

Kirk was enjoying the peace and goodwill in the room, when McCoy's frantic voice blared over the intercom. "Jim, you and Sarek need to get down here now."

A feeling of dread overcame Kirk as he and Sarek ran through the halls to sickbay. "Spock, it must be Spock," Kirk thought as he pushed past crew members in his path.

McCoy had been feeling sorry for himself until he saw Kirk's face. "Bone, what is it? Is Spock alright?"

McCoy swallowed. "Jim, Doctor M' Benga is with him now. Sarek please go to him." Kirk pushed past McCoy to where Spock lay. Though Kirk's knowledge of medicine was rudimentary, he could tell that the readings above Spock's bed were not at normal levels. They barely rose above the lowest point on the medical screen. Kirk stood at the edge of Spock's bed. "Spock," he whispered. Kirk glanced over at the bed next to Spock's to see Muriah in very much the same shape as Spock. Her face echoed the deadly pallor of Spock's. Kirk shuddered for they both appeared to be dead. Sarek came and stood beside Spock's bed putting his fingers on Spock's temples.

Kirk walked over to Doctor M'Benga, "Doctor, what's happened here?"

Doctor M'Benga took Kirk's arm and gently led him over to the over side of the room. "Captain, it's difficult to explain."

Kirk leaned forward, "I've got time. Explain now."

Doctor M'Benga frowned. "It is the Talmeth or the Vulcan Death Meld."

Kirk took one step closer to M'Benga. "There's no such thing, Doctor."

Doctor M'Benga's eyes remained steady as he sought to calm Kirk, "Captain, it is a practice that goes back to Vulcan's ancient times during the time of Surak. Vulcan warriors would engage in the Vulcan Death Meld if they were certain of capture. Their death would insure that the enemy could not extract information from them."

Kirk swore. "Spock must have thought the Romulans were going to overtake the ship."

Doctor M'Benga nodded in agreement. "It would seem that he and Muriah linked together to avoid capture."

Kirk massaged his jaw. "I suppose Doctor McCoy informed you of Muriah's genetic background?"

"Yes," he said as he glanced over in Spock's direction. "That's what worries me. I don't know anything about the true nature of Muriah's physiology."

Kirk nodded swallowing down the lump in his throat. "Keep me apprised of his condition, Doctor. I'll be on the bridge."

Kirk surveyed his crew as he stepped on the bridge. Uhura's grin faded when she saw the look on Kirk's face. Her hand gracefully flew to her throat as she thought, "Please don't let Spock be dead."