"I'm disappointed in you." (8)

Crap crap crAp

I'm late for work!
I grab my toast and shove it in my mouth, not even bothering to butter it, and run out the door,

Hang on...

I run back into my house, grab my bag then run out the door and lock it this time.

Half way down the corridor to my classroom I bump into Mr. Smith, my rushed apologies muffled by my plain toast. He gives me a once over in confusion, checks his watch -making me blush in embarrassment from being late to work- then bends down and gives me a hand up.

I bite down on my slice of toast, taking a chunk out of it, thank and apologise to John then rush off to my classroom to find that it's still locked and there's no kids inside.

Eh?

I turn to John in confusion and he looks at me like he was caught stealing from the cookie jar.

"It's Saturday isn't it?" I ask

He nods slowly, not saying anything still.

I nervously take another bite of my plain toast and go to adjust my tie only to find out that in my rush this morning, i had forgotten to tie it so it was just lying on my chest, draped around my collar.

I put my hands down and nod in embarrassment and cough.

Wait-hang on-

"It's Saturday...?" I state, looking pointedly at Mr. Smith.

"I- I'm just... Uh.. catch..- catching up on... school work and class plans? Yeah. That. Teachers do that right?" He explains unsurely, the last part to himself though I caught it.

"...Yeah okay, what are you really doing?" I ask accusingly.

"I told yo-"
"Don't try that bullshit with me, I teach from year 7s to year 12s, I know when someone's lying to me."

He starts sweating then gives up on his lie.
"Miss Evangelista has... gone missing,
Y/n." He states.

I stare at him.

"No."
"Yes."
"That- that can't be- That still doesn't explain why you're here." I stumble on my words in disbelief.

"I-uhm.. We- I'm trying to find any leads, it has to be connected somehow, it's too consistent."

"John what is?" I ask, deciding to ignore his mistake.

"The disappearances! Think. Little Nina, a little girl from a care home, goes missing, Salem, a timid girl whose Lazy, uncaring, grandparents look after her and her brother, Harlow Davis, whose parents are almost never home, now Miss Evangelista whose family don't care about her. Someone, or something is taking people that have nothing, nobody to love them. And they're all from this school!"

... That is actually really logical wtf.

"I'm in."
"Wh-what?"
"I'm in." I repeat.
"O-okay. Cool. Uhm..." He pauses then gestures his head behind him.

I follow him as he turns around and walks back down the corridor.

"Hey Mr. Smith! Come see thi-" I knot my eyebrows together at the new voice and Mr. Smith freezes in place, as if being caught in the act.

"Oh shit." The dark clothed teen says quietly and turns around to walk away like Loki in Thor: Ragnarok

""Oh Shit." Is right." I say in my "teacher voice" making the Deku look-a-like stop and turn back to face me.

"Not for you to be saying, I meant... You know what I mean!"

I look at Finlay disapprovingly then look at the teacher next to me with the same gaze.

"Really?!"
"I-"
"You brought a student to your break in?! No no, you brought a child to a break in."
"Uhm- well-"
"I cannot believe you! I cannot even begin to fathom why on EARTH the thought would even cross your mind!"
"Please I-"
"NO! I can't understand how you were hired to be a teacher and look after children because you are so damn irresponsible! I mean really, what were you thi-"
"Would you shut up a minute and let me at least attempt to explain?"

"Thank you."
"Well? Explain."
"I-uh... I don't actually have an explanation I just wanted you to stop yelling at me because you were scaring me."
I give him a death glare but the innocent and slightly adorable, sheepish smile he had on told me to be nice.
I lower my head and sigh.
"I suppose you need me here now that there's no responsible adult here, I'm really, really disappointed in the both of you."
They both bow their heads, unable to meet my angered gaze.
"Come on." I say sternly and walk off.

"Is he like that in class?"
"Yeah, but never towards me, that was scary."
"You're telling me, I'm a teacher for God's sake."

There's a moment of silence from their hushed conversation as they look at each other and start giggling.

I roll my eyes and can't hold back a smirk at their behaviour.