The Story of Andromeda 14))

Felt like yall deserves an update. :))
Finally! Another classroom scene!

Unedited

"Okay, I know this month has been pretty weird and stressful, but we still have work to do. So open your jotters please and thank you, we're continuing with the Andromeda." I announce to the class, walking up and down the front of the room.

I hear the familiar sound of pages scraping against each other as the students find their nearest blank page.

As quick as it came, the sound died down, everyone turned their attention to me again, save for a few students looking for pencils and rubbers.

I smile at the kids then turn to my whiteboard.

"Okay, now can anyone remember why it's called the Andromeda galaxy?" I ask.

After writing the title on the whiteboard, I turn back to the class to see a few uncertain hands go up.

"Lauren?" I call out.

"I dunno, didn't you say it was near some star or something?" the red-headed girl replies.

I smile widely, urging her on.

"That's all I remember, sir." She lets out.

"That's alright. Finlay, can you carry on?"

Finlay nods their head.

"The galaxy was named after the Andromeda constellation that's found nearby the galaxy." the now washed-out-green haired teen continues.

I thank Finlay and Lauren for their input and return to my whiteboard.

As I'm writing out and repeating what the two students had told me, my classroom door opens and closes.

I turn my head to see John staring at me.

"Can I help you?" I ask him, leaving my writing for a bit.

"No, I've been told I'm meant to be supporting your classes," he informs me.

"why wasn't I told? What about your own classes?" I narrow my eyes.

John shrugs and walks over to where he was sat the first time he observed my class.

I roll my eyes and continue teaching.

"What's a constellation, then?" I ask the class.

"Anyone?" I ask again.

"Oh come on, don't do this again. You know what a constellation is!"

John raises his hand.

"Not you." I dismiss him, making his smirk dissipate.

"It's a group of stars, sir." Lauren's voice calls out.

"Thank you, Lauren. By definition, a constellation is a group of stars that form a recognisable pattern, they're usually named after what they look like or in some cases, mythological figures, like-says- Aquarius."

"What about Andromeda, then?" Finlay speaks up.

"The Andromeda constellation is named after a mythological figure," I state.

"Go in then, tell us the story about it." John prompts, his trademark grin on his face.

"Uhm-" I start but and cut off by some of the class cheering me on, obviously trying to get out of work.

I roll my eyes, looking at the clock.

"We only have fifteen minutes left, fine." I cave.

I turn the lights off and instead turn on a small lamp sat on my desk.

I hop onto my desk and clear my throat, John settles back, obviously enjoying this.

"Aight." I start.

The students shift to get comfy, their eyes adjusting to the dim lighting.

"So, in Greek Mythology, King Cepheus and Queen Cassiopeia of Ethiopia had a child called Andromeda, who grew up as the Princess of Ethiopia. Andromeda was visibly beautiful.
One day, Queen Cassiopeia had told the Nereids- Sea Nymphs- that Andromeda was more beautiful than they." I start, my voice quiet.

"This angered the Nereids and in revenge, Poseidon -The Greek deity of the sea- sent a sea monster to destroy Cepheus and Cassiopeia's kingdom. The only way to please the gods and to earn their forgiveness was to sacrifice Andromeda, so she was chained to a rock and was left to be eaten by Poseidon's monster." I spoke, leaving a pause.

"oh well, that's a bit rubbish, innit?" Lauren lets out.

I laugh with John.

"that's not all, go on, it's just getting interesting." John urges making me smile

"But, luckily for Andromeda, Perseus, the son of Zeus, flew past on Pegasus, and when he saw Andromeda, he mistook her for a statue due to how pale and beautiful she was. though when he saw her closer, he saw that she was alive and he fell in love with her. Perseus then asked Cepheus for his daughter's hand in marriage, to which Cepheus agreed. Perseus then killed the monster and freed Andromeda." I continue.

"Though at their marriage feast, Andromeda's uncle, Phineus, had tried to take her for his own, as he had been promised to her first. Perseus got angry and turned Phineus to stone using Medusa's head- You all know Medusa, right? Lady with snakes for hair that was raped in a temple to Athena?- Anyway, after Phineus was turned to stone, Andromeda then went on to bare six sons and a daughter with Perseus." I finish.

"And that's why her constellation is called 'The Chained Woman', because of the position the stars are in and how she was tied to her rock with chains." John adds on.

I nod my head in agreement.

"Alright, that's it for today, you can pack up and wait for the bell." I announce, causing the class to break out into noise as the students leave their seats and gather their belongings from under that tables and stools, some then go off to find their friends from across the classroom.

I stroll over to the tall, brunet teacher nearby.

"Hi." I greet.

"Hey." He counters, flicking his eyebrows and showing his infamous grin.

"You're okay today? Not paranoid or feeling any urge to binge-drink a buttload of coffee?" He fusses, his expression melting into concern.

I smile and shake my head softly.

"No, I'm okay now. I'm still worried but that's to be expected." I answer, quietly.

"That's good. I don't like seeing you upset." He informs me.

I raise my eyebrows at him.
"Oh is that so?" I tease.

He nods his head.

My cheeks tinge pink as I look away, chuckling.

"Nice to know." I say.

A minute later, the bell rings, I dismiss the class and they all leave my room, scrambling to get to the canteen, eager to be fed.

I stifle a giggle at them.

"You coming, then?" I ask John, leaving the room.

He smiles and we make out way to the staff room.