Chapter Thirty.

Ben pulled up on the curb outside of Charlotte's house and let out a relieved sigh as he turned the engine off. "Her car is parked on the drive." He said as he jumped out and jogged up towards the house. "Think I can hear Rosie out in the garden."

"Jesus, mum's going to have a fit if she finds out they've been there on their own!"

"Don't fucking tell her! I'm going to get a thrashing off Ellie without your mum chiming in too!"

"Whatever, just go get her! Ring me when you're back at yours."

The front door was locked which was a huge relief, he walked around to the back gate but stopped when he heard sobbing and sniffling.

"Mum, when are we going back to Ben's? You don't cry when were with him."

"It's complicated sweetie."

"But you said you love each other. We had so much fun living with him. I want to go back now."

"Rosie," she sighed. "I know you miss him ok. I'm sure he misses you to. Very, very much but we can't go back now. Things don't always go the way we want them too. So, we're just going to have to get used to being back home, ok."

"It's not fair!" He heard her shout. "First Mr Biggles and Buttons die and now I don't even have Ben! It's all your fault!" He heard her shouting louder at her mum.

"Go to bed!" She told her an assertive tone and he heard the sound of her running away, followed by the sound of the back-door slamming.

"Lottie..." He called out but was met with silence. "Lottie, open the gate. Let me in...Please." Still nothing. "I know you're still there, I can hear you crying..." He sighed as he rested his head against the gate. "Please Lott... Please, please let me explain." The sound of the bolt opening and the squeak of the hinges stopped him and as the gate opened he saw the face of the woman he loved looking back at him with exhausted, red puffy eyes.

Letting out another sigh but this time in relief, he put his keys in his pocket and stepped forward, expecting to be greeted with a slap, which if he was being honest with himself, he knew he deserved but instead was shocked by her throwing her arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her in tight, taking in a deep breath as he placed a kiss on the top of her head.

"I'm so sorry! I'll explain everything I promise

"I'm so sorry! I'll explain everything I promise." He whispered in to her hair "But I want to go talk to Rosie first. She shouldn't have snapped at you because of something I did."

"Don't, she's just missed you that's all. I'll talk to her later... If she's still awake." She said as she headed towards the back door. "Can you lock the gate behind you please. Cup of tea?"

Locking the gate and following her in, he locked the back door behind him "Yes please." He told her as he headed to the front of the house to arm the alarm.