{Chapter Sixteen}

"I sometimes wonder if they're getting married so early just so they can have sex," Lauren said to Joan the next day.

  They were sitting in the tower of her house. They had made their way through the dark attic with flashlights, and through the cobwebs and old boxes to the narrow stair case that led to the small, square room with four large windows. The tower of the old, Purple Victorian. The windows were so dirty that they could barely see out of them as they sat in the small room with their flashlights on even though it was noon and sunny outside.

  "I bet a lot of young couples do that," Joan said thoughtfully. "I personally think waiting for marriage is kind of stupid."

  "It is not!" Lauren said; stung.

  She felt hurt as she sat across from Joan who was looking especially ridiculous today in a pair of Henry's overalls that were so big the straps kept falling, and a tie-dyed t-shirt that was cut off at the navel underneath. Lauren could see her bare stomach again, and the trail of freckles on her pale skin.

  "I'm sorry. I forgot that you said you and Jake were waiting."

  "Yeah, we are," Lauren said and held up her hand. "See this little silver one on my ring finger? That's what it's about. It's a promise ring Jake gave me when we started to get serious."

  "... So are you guys engaged to be engaged, or something like that?"

  "No, it's just... a promise. You know, if we stay together that long, and ever decide to get married," Lauren said and shrugged. "I don't know if it's him I'm going to marry, but I am going to wait."

  "Alright," Joan said easily. "I can admire that. I just think it's stupid when really religious couples rush into marriage because they clearly just want to fuck one another without feeling guilty. Especially since you know most of them have done everything except have intercourse."

  "You're so judgmental."

  "You're the one who brought it up."

  "Relationships are more than sex."

  "I know, but being sexually compatible is important to me, sorry."

  "So you wouldn't date a guy if he wanted to wait until he was married?"

  Joan didn't answer for a moment. "No, I wouldn't. I respect their decision for themselves, but as I said I like sex. I don't think it's something to be ashamed of, and I'm not sure I even want to get married. I don't want to bring legality into my relationships."

 "You respect their decision? Excuse me? You just called people who wait stupid!"

 "Well, I don't think it's stupid, but I think it's antiquated," Joan said with a roll of her eyes. "No normal person our age should settle down and have babies this young. Does it work sometimes? Sure, but most of the time it doesn't. Give yourself some time to grow up and have some fun! I think most people who settle down that young do so out of fear. They're afraid they won't find anyone else, and they don't want to be alone. Which I get, but it usually crashes and burns. I'm not judging. It's just the truth."

  "Yeah, you sound totally non-judgmental," Lauren said mockingly; feeling more than a little angry at the condescension in Joan's voice.

 "Like you guys don't judge people like me?" Joan asked as she stood up and started wiping a one of the windows with the edge of her t-shirt, and Lauren saw a glimpse of Joan's pink bra thanks to the the streaming, dusty sunlight that suddenly poured into the room.

  "What do you mean 'People like you?'"

  "The non-traditional - the ones who choose to go out in the world on their own," Joan said with a shrug. "Look at how Wren's family and your friends have treated Henry. He's just a normal college kid who - gasp - had sex with his girlfriend, and suddenly he's not to be trusted. He's one of the nicest people I know, and he's treated like a leper by Wren's parents."