{Chapter Nine}

"So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?" Jake asked as the two of them sat in the den of Lauren's house playing scrabble, and Lauren tried to stay awake because she spent all day shopping for duvets with Joan to go in her bedroom that she was finishing with Lauren's help.

   Since their lunch they started to hang out almost every afternoon before and after their classes when they weren't working. Jake usually stopped in around ten to spend a few hours together, but tonight she wished he would call it a day sooner than later.

  "Uh, I don't know," Lauren said as she realized this would be her and Jake's first Thanksgiving together as a couple. "I guess I'll just go to my grandparents like we always do. What about you?"

  "My Mom is cooking a big dinner," Jake said as he waited for Lauren to make her move on the board, but she was too tired to think. He was already fifty points ahead.

  "I think she was hoping you and Ruth would both come to dinner," said Jake as Lauren rested her head against her arm as they sat on the floor by the coffee table. "You know, since you're both going to be a part of the family..."

  Lauren felt awake now. "Oh really?"

 "Yeah," Jake said, and he seemed surprised. "I know you probably want to see your family, but this is our first Thanksgiving."

  "That's true," Lauren said slowly. "My grandparents really look forward to seeing us though. They live three hours away, and we hardly get up there anymore thanks to school and work."

  "Okay," Jake said after a long moment of staring at her while she pretended to be concentrating on her letters. "Maybe Christmas..."

  "We usually spend that at home too since our other grandparents and cousins from Orlando fly in," Lauren said apologetically.

  ".... Well, maybe you can come over and open gifts afterwards," Jake said, but she could tell he wasn't happy. 

"Of course and Ruth too," Lauren said with forced cheerfulness. "Or you can come over to our house? All of the family is going to be here, and I know you haven't met everyone."

  "Sure," Jake said as she spelled the word 'glow' on the board. "It'll be nice when we're married, and we can invite everyone over to our house."

   Lauren wasn't sure what to say to that, but Jake didn't seem to notice.

  "Alex and Ruth are looking at houses next week," Jake said suddenly.

  "I know," Lauren said quickly; grateful for the change of subject. "It's all she's talking about. She's probably going to drag me around to see some of them soon."

  "I can't wait until it's us picking out houses together... or apartments probably."

  "Mhmm... Oh, it's your turn Jake."

  He looked at the board. "I'm beating you still."

  "I know," she said and sighed. "I'm really tired though so I don't think it's an honest victory."

  "Do you want to finish another time?" He asked after taking a sip of his coffee.

  "If you don't mind," she said with sleepy smile. "I'm about to fall asleep on you, and I don't think I'm being very entertaining."

  "So what are you up to tomorrow?"

  "Oh, I'm having coffee with Joan and Henry. Wren is going to casually drop by. She's been calling me all day with plans."