{Chapter Eleven}

"Are you guys coming to the Dairy Queen with us?" Jake asked on Sunday as they walked out of church. 

  Lauren had caught a ride that morning with Jake, Alex, and Ruth, but she had planned to go home with her parents because she needed a nap. All the kids in her Sunday school class were put in a time out for being so loud the minister himself came to check to see if they were all okay. She felt so embarrassed. The minister told her if she couldn't keep control of her class she might consider getting a helper.

  "No, I'm not really hungry. I think I'm going to go home and rest," Lauren said. 

  Jake's face fell. "Oh c'mon Lauren! Our group hasn't hung out together after church for a few Sundays. I know Rachel, and the rest of them would really like to see you."

  Lauren had never liked Rachel, and a lot of the other girls from church. She thought they were snobby. Plus Rachel's best friend Caroline clearly liked Jake, and Lauren knew Jake texted with her sometimes, and they would go out to lunch once in a while. He said she was a good listener, and she really wanted to do ministry work herself someday. 

   Caroline was a senior in high school with Monroe, and she was gorgeous with long blond hair that had earned her the nickname of 'Barbie' in their youth. No one called her that now. She was tall, and she looked much older than eighteen. She looked like a future trophy wife in Lauren's opinion although she knew it was a mean thought to have.

  "Come on. Please Lauren? Everyone wants to see you." Jake said and held out his hand. She took it with an inward sigh, and she let him lead her to the waiting car.

  The local Dairy Queen was where they hung out in their teen years; talking and laughing as they took up four booths. They still liked to go on the occasional Sunday. Lauren ordered herself a small chocolate cone, and she took a seat next to Jake. Caroline was in front of him, and she was talking about the colleges she was visiting. She wasn't sure she wanted to actually go to college yet, she said. She might join the ministry. Her father took a group to Africa every year, and she was considering joining them.

  "You should!" Jake said enthusiastically. "I went two summers ago, and it was a life changing experience. I might even go again if you go. When Lauren gets some time off from school I know I want us both to experience it."

  Lauren decided not to mention they'd never discussed going to Africa together, and he definitely knew she wasn't crazy about the traveling idea. She was a proud homebody. Clearly they needed another talk.

  Caroline seemed frustrated as she continued talking as Jake kept bringing up Lauren's name every time they talked about going somewhere. Caroline couldn't separate them. Lauren felt slightly smug as she enjoyed her ice-cream. Her conversation with Jake could wait. She had the excuse of school and work on her side for now.

  Wren was on the other side of the booth. Lauren could hear Wren telling Ruth about how she tried to get Henry to come to church, but he refused. He had too many bad memories connected to Christianity. Ruth said Wren was the best thing that could have ever happened to him. Wren didn't look so sure, and she said she didn't want to push him into anything.

  Lauren did everything in her power not to react. She wondered how long Henry waited to talk Wren into bed. Lauren wanted to talk to Wren about it sometime, but she could never find the words. A part of her said it was none of her business, but the other side of her was concerned.

  "I doubt he'll ever go," Hope said as she stirred around her melting vanilla ice-cream. "He said hates religion."

  "He doesn't hate it," Wren said with a heavy sigh. "He just had a very traumatic experience as a kid. You don't know what he went through. He's told me all about it, and it's amazing he even considers the idea of religion."