Blazing Arrival

"Adam's taking us. Help him with the frequency." I ordered, turning to Devon. He bowed.

"Of course, Princess." He retorted.

"That reply doesn't have nearly as much sarcasm as it would because that's your actual nickname for me." I informed, clutching my bags tighter as we stood in the backyard.

"Why do I have to do it?" Adam whined. I sighed.

"Because Devon is terrified of fire and I can't control winds and you can and I want you to practice! You're not getting out of training." I explained quickly.

"I only understood 'Devon is terrified of fire' and 'You're not getting out of training'. I think I see your point." Adam grinned and I narrowed my eyes.

"Showoff." I muttered as he started up a whirlwind.

"You wanted him to. Anyway, what are we searching for, how are we supposed to find Alex?" Devon turned to me, his head tipped to the side. I slowly turned to look at him, rage building up inside me.

"This was your idea. You wanted to go and look for him. And now you're asking me what to do?" I asked calmly. There was an edge to my words though. Devon smiled sheepishly.

"Oh well, too late now." He said.

I close my eyes and sigh, not that it's heard over the obnoxious whirring of the winds around us.

When I open my eyes, we're in a field I don't recognize, and surrounded by men weilding guns.

 No, not guns, they were long pipes with triggers, yes, but they were shaped wrong. Completely straight, with an identical trigger sticking up right on top. The sides were sharp, like blades, and sloped inward towards the tip after a certain point, but there were still two openings where bullets could explode from.

The slang term is Poniard Pistols. A combonation sword and gun, perfect for hunting the animals of this dimension. The bullets are called Dragon Tears, because they're made of the magical crystal, Umaridonn. The Umaridonn Crystal, when it grows to a certain size, starts to hollow out and fill with a liquid that reflects the rainbow when bathed in any light. This is how unnatural dragons are created. The liquid, though, is fatal if a dragon does not grow inside the crystal. The bullets are made with a thin crystal layer and then packed full with the fatal stuff. The bullet is a bit bigger than the barrel, so it's very fragile and will break upon halfway entrance into a body. Devon told me in my head. I had gotten used to having my thoughts to myself, so I had to bite down on my lip to keep from letting out a cry of shock.

"Who are you? Region Rangers?" A sturdily built man with a scruffy yellow beard demanded. I looked to Devon.

"Is everything here an alliteration?" Adam elbowed me in the side sharply, giving me a hard look.

"We're here on our own business, not that of the region." Devon answered, stepping forward to exit the circle of men.

"Stay where you are!" Another man barked authoritively. He had deep set eyes and a broad jawline displaying a thick amount of fizzy black beard. His face was weathered, in fact, all of the men looked similiar. All of them had a sort of wild look to them, with brown, leathery faces and matted beards of all different lengths and colors. All of them had sharp, dark, paranoid eyes and chapped and bleeding lips. Some were missing limbs and had unprofessional stitches.

"What are you even doing here?" Adam asked, joining Devon at the edge of the circle.

"None of yer business." An older man with graying hair snapped, poking my brother with the Poniard Pistol.