Search and Research

"You know, it's times like these that I miss my laptop," I muttered. Some random creature shushed me and Devon grinned at my bad tempered glare toward the lamb-lion thing. "Why does that even exist?" I asked in a hushed tone.

"Ever hear of the lion and the lamb falling in love?"

"You mean that's Bella and Edward's real kid?"

"No!" Devon hissed, attempting to restrict his laughter. He looked at me, tearing up and a wide smile crossing his face. I grumbled and went back to searching the bookshelf for subjects on this "Village of Towers."

"Why are you so good natured. Adam's life is still at risk back there," I asked darkly.

"I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation," He sighed, looking at me. "Plus, I haven't been able to see you correctly for a while."

"You saw me perfectly fine in there. You wanted to keep it secret."

"I was trying to help you guys. It wasn't like I was lazing around."

"Until you shut down in fear," I muttered. Devon stared at me, gaping. "You'll catch flies," I advised, turning away to leaf through even more books at the library. The lion-lamb glared, but I rolled my eyes and continued on. Devon sat next to me an hour later, silent.

Ever since we had left Adam, I was in a bad mood while Devon was being productive. I didn't really care, because I wasn't the one who had hidden that I could see in a place of blindness, and my brother had been left behind.

Devon had gotten directions from the nearest creature, that being a passing griffon, to a main library. I hated libraries. Sure, I loved books, but libraries I found stupid. You had to be quiet. I did my best reading in a noisy area. And libraries mostly had stupid nonfiction books or adult books, then a kiddy section. No inbetween area for those who don't really like books like 50 Shades of Gray but are a bit old for stupid stories.

Libraries are stupid.

"Here's an atlas of this place, here's the general area where the Village of Towers should be," Devon whispered out of nowhere, shoving a book toward me. I studied the map. Geography was my strong point. That was my best class. Mapping and navigation weren't far behind. After losing my way in that forest back when time was almost destroyed, I dedicated my free time to learning how to navigate even in a snowstorm on a mountain of magnets.

"General area?"

"It's a legend, Fallon, not a sure thing. And we're in a dimension of magic."

"Yeah..." I mumbled.

"I also found out a bit about it's history. Apparantly the place was a main source of magic, spurting it out like a fountain. It was a tourist attraction for visitors of the dimension, and a place where travelers most definitely stopped. There was an inn built around an observatory tower. People constantlhy milled about and it was a friendly place. There was a rebellion among the townscreatures against their leader, who regulated the flow of everything, including magic. They got greedy and overthrew him, then overused the magic - which is completely possible - and left the place. I think there was a Faerie who had lived there. He was some sort of local hero. Protected the village. Could only shapeshift into a dragon, with all his power. Allowed anyone good of heart to ride him. When everyone else left, he stayed, trying to restore the once prosperous town. He had a kid though, moved away, lived on. Says here he should still be alive. Do we want to contact him? Get bearings about the place?"

Pondering the thought, I weighed the advantages and the outcomes with the negative sides.

"Not worth it. We want to save Alex as soon as possible. He might provide a nice history lesson, but we don't need to know that much about how it came to be abandoned. Your summary was enough. And looking for him might take way too long," I finally concluded.