Home Is Where The Start Is

"I still can't get used to living here permanently." I stated, inspecting one of Alex's earrings. His room was barely changed, as I had promised. The pile of dirty laundry only contained his clothes, and never moved, never grew. His laptop lay hibernating in one of his desk drawers while my own sat on the desk. The pants and shorts he had worn in fifth grade were too small for both of us, so I had replaced them with Devon's help. Alex's drawers and closet still held his clothes, mine in the large box in the corner. That was the only thing that had changed. That paired up with the fact that Alex himself wasn't there.

"You should take it one week at a time." Devon said from the other room. There was a vent that made it easy to hear him from Alex's room. He could've came into the room and sat at the desk, or in one of the bean bag chairs, but he didn't like being in the room with Alex gone.

I didn't know why we didn't just talk in our minds, but the one time I had asked, Devon gave me the silent treatment for the rest of the week. So I wasn't about to push my luck again.

Silence followed, weighing down the air. I played with the black diamond stud Alex had worn the day he told me he was leaving. Why had he left it? That was his favorite earring.

"He knew you liked it." Devon's voice was so quiet I nearly missed it. I stared at the diamond, watched it sparkle in the dying sunlight, saw it turn scarlet. Even when the light faded, it still glowed red. I jumped up, but didn't know what to do after that, so I waited for another clue. Another step towards Alex.

Alex? Alex?!

No reply. The diamond faded to balck again. I carefully removed my silver hoop in the piercing at the top of my ear, walking to the bathroom. I wanted to wear that black stud. It might not have been a physical connection to Alex, but it was the closest thing I had. He treasured his jewelery, and while in fifth and sixth grade his clothes made me feel closer to him, now, with pants he had never worn before and t-shirts he hadn't used in two years, they felt like just objects. But his jewelery he loved. It was his obsession.

Just as I was tightening the back for the earring, Devon appeared by the door in the mirror. I froze, staring at his reflection. While he and Alex were nearly identical, Devon's hair was a darker, browner shade, with the occasional midnight black lock. His eyes didn't have the green in them, his eyes looked like mine, except with the palest of blue swirls near his pupil.

"You wear it in the same ear Alex does." Devon finally said, pushing off the doorframe and walking up behind me. I could feel his breath on the back of his neck. He had grown a lot. Instead of being the regular two inches taller, his chin now could rest comfortably on the top of my head if he tipped his head up the tiniest bit.

I nodded in response to his statement, letting my hands drop to my sides and surveying my own reflection. I looked like I belonged in Devon and Alex's family, with Alex's hair and Devon's eyes. My facial structure matched theirs, as did my body, except I looked like a girl. So many times I had wondered why I looked so much like their sister. But I had always pushed the thoughts away, claiming it wasn't important.

"The earring isn't normal." I murmured. Devon nodded and put his hand on my shoulder. I finally turned to look at him.

"It's like an extension of Alex. It captures the light of the sun and glows when he's trying to communicate with someone. I think it's a hologram or something. There are two pairs, one for Alex and one for me. I have the regular diamonds. With a drop of blood, they can become connected to anyone. After we came back Alex took some of your blood and set up his pair so that he had the one connected to you, and you had the one connected to him. I still haven't set mine up. But if he's trying to contact you with the earring, then I think it's time for us to go to the fifth dimension." Devon smiled a bit but I shook my head.

"People will notice our absence." I said. "We've got to stay."

"Don't you want to see Alex?" Devon tipped my head back a little so I could look at him. His eyebrows were furrowed in confusion.

"Of course. But what about our lives here?" I pulled away, staring at the ground. Devon shrugged.

"I'll make a note saying we're going to visit a relative. It's not exactly a lie." I shook my head vehemently at the offer.

"No. Alex is a big boy. He can take care of himself. Plus, Adam is just starting spells and magic. I've got to figure out what his powers are, and we're still looking for his protector." Devon pouted.

"It's not fair you get to spend loads of time with your brother and I don't even get to see mine!" He whined. I shrugged. Then he perked up. "What if Adam comes with us!"

"No. Not an option." I monotoned, exiting the bathroom.

"Why not?!" Devon followed after me.

"He's only twelve! He doesn't even know what his powers are." I retorted.

"So were you three years ago! And you were sucked into something way more dangerous. And you had no idea that Fae even existed so you had to deal with that stress. And your best friend had 'died' the summer after fifth grade. And all you had for protection were a couple of hormonal boys and girls you barely even knew. The only person you were comfortable with was Casey." Devon argued.

"First of all, I was working on only impulse. I just barely came out alive!" I pointed out.

"Well he's not even going to the second dimension, and there's no rebellion going on." He exclaimed. My next words died in my mouth. How dangerous could a dimension with the nickname Unicornland be, if there was no rebellion or war going on?

"Fine. We're going to Africa to help ou a family friend there. Eli knows our whereabouts and he will get our work to us." I agreed. Devon cheered and skipped down the stairs.

"Woohoo! And one more thing." He grinned hugely at me.

"What now?!" I groaned.

"Your brother's almost home."