Chapter 7: Flagged

Thoughts raced through my mind as I rode the cab home. Swash insisted that I take money for the fare, even though I really didn't want to. I didn't want to feel like I owed him anything. The city lights blazed past, seeming to form a background to the many ideas I was contemplating. I was now okay with Swash. I was developing a thing for Malone. I was considering getting out of the sex worker field, probably because of some envy for Alex and Emmet. I was a little behind on saving for my rent; I still needed two hundred dollars. Which I figured I could get by next week. Swash seemed a lot more interesting now. He had changed so much in six years. Hell, he had a kid. I liked children, and sometimes fantasized about adopting one of my own. Maybe I'll make a good dad. As soon as I stopped blowing strangers and got a job and a better place to live. Clearly, being a dad would have to wait.

The cab slowed to a stop in front of my apartment. I looked around before opening the door. Malone's car was parked across the street, but I couldn't see him. A hand suddenly slapped the window behind me and I yelped. Malone. He was smiling. I paid the cabbie and got out of the other side. I stood on the sidewalk and faced Malone, who was standing in the middle of the street. He opened his mouth as if to say something but I cut him off first.

 "How did you know where I live?"
"I called your...office? A guy called Robert told me where to find you."

Curse Robert and his bluntness. I stared at him in silence, thinking. Why didn't he just call me to meet him?

 "Were you working?"
"Yes."

Did I just lie about Swash? Why didn't I just say I was visiting a friend? Then again, it kinda was work, seeing as I got paid for it. I remained silent, looking at him for any hint of what he might be planning.

 "I missed you."
"Seriously? I was only gone for about half a day."
"Still, I missed you."

Was he getting attached? Wouldn't be the first time. At least, I wasn't being told to move to Los Angeles. Malone crossed over to me quickly and kissed me. It was slow at first, and then he intensified it. I kissed him back. He smelled good; his cologne was a little intoxicating. I wrapped my hands around his neck to kiss him harder. He pulled back.

 "I see you missed me too."

I smiled weakly. Still, I didn't want him to get into my apartment. Nobody ever came to my apartment. I felt that letting him in would be like breaking the final wall. I might as well marry him after that.

 "Let's go to your place."
He chuckled and frowned a bit. "Why? We're just in front of your place."
"My place is a mess. Your place is bigger. Let's go."

 He seemed to think it over. I didn't see what there was to mull over. Take me to your comfortable place with your bigger bed and your memories of Jeff, and I'll have sex with you. No brainer. He sighed and held my hand behind his neck, then uncoiled my other arm. Holding my hand, he practically dragged me to the car. I laughed lightly and followed him. I got into the passenger seat and buckled myself in. After the way he drove last time, I wasn't going to risk my life. Malone looked at me and smiled, then started up the car. We drove off into the city. I looked out of the window, taking in the city lights. It was a Friday night, and the streets were alive with those who wanted to unwind after their work week. I sometimes thought about the millions of people living here, each with their own problems all trying to get by. Some lived the high life; others had to beg for a daily meal. I was just a little blip in a sea of dots. I had sex with strangers for a living. It wasn't the best living and it came with its risks, but at least I wasn't lying on the street with a plate beside me. But now I felt I the need for an exit plan. Maybe Swash had inspired me to think beyond the present, I couldn't be sure. I noticed that Malone turned into a very familiar looking street. I looked up. We were going to the hotel.