Chapter 11: Tally

A good part of the four hours was spent on random conversation. I felt a lot more comfortable around Swash now. Maybe the slap released all the resentment I had bottled in. There was a visible bruise where I hit him and he said that we had to come up with a lie for him to tell boss tomorrow. We made several stupid suggestions and laughed freely. I also noticed more body contact. It seemed innocent enough, but I count more than five as no longer innocent. Stuff like gentle punches, hand resting on my thigh, feet somehow in contact. I felt he was doing it on purpose. After a lot of conversation, he asked:

 "So are you seeing anyone?"

 And there it was. I saw that coming.

"Kind of."
"Really. And is he okay with your...job?"
"We met because of the job."
"Doesn't he get jealous?"

This was getting a little uncomfortable.

"No. He knew what he was getting into." I was speaking as if Malone had ever actually asked me out. Sure, we had dinner one time and sex several times afterwards, but nothing was official. I felt like we were hanging somewhere between an actual couple and fuck buddies. Swash stared at me for a few seconds as if trying to process how such an arrangement would work before he decided to change topic.

"So, Cheryl is getting a divorce."
"Who's Cher- Oh. What about Bradley? He already has a complicated situation going on. What would it be now? Three-way custody split?"
"No way. I'm his biological parent and a lot more stable right now. He's coming to stay with me."
"So when is he coming?"
"Oh, I dunno. Sometime soon. Cher seems to be holding out until the divorce process is underway before she'll let me know anything."

He didn't seem very bothered by the whole situation. I knew what they said about children from divorced families and all the psychological drama that went into it. I frowned a little as Swash and he must have caught my expression.

"Don't look at me like that; I'm not the one breaking them up. I heard they've been arguing and it seemed like only a matter of time. I'm just happy to have my son again. They always used the 'stable family environment' card when we had custody proceedings to keep him away from me. Well, guess who's stable now?" He laughed a little and I joined him. The situation was a little ironic.

We had a little more banter before I felt it was time to go. Not that I wanted to, but Michael was a paying customer. But it felt good to have a normal conversation without the prospects of having to spread my legs or bend over afterwards. I got up to leave and Swash escorted me out of the condo block. I couldn't help but notice that the clothes I wore were actually well-fitting. I thought they belonged to Swash but they were definitely not his size.

"Swash, who owns these clothes?"
"You?" He raised an eyebrow as if I had just asked a stupid question.
"What do you mean?"
"I bought them for you."

I looked at him, stunned. Swash was grinning at my expression. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Well, how much did they cost, I'd have to pay you-"
"Stop."
"What?"
"The whole having to repay me thing. It's like you're constantly keeping score. It's not everything that has to be repaid and reimbursed and refunded. I bought you those because I wanted to."

I fell silent. He was right, of course, but that didn't matter at the moment. I just hated the feeling of being indebted to someone. It made me feel like I was beneath them. And I didn't want to be beneath anyone. Unless they're paying. Swash continued to smile as he studied my face. I took in his handsome features and laughing moss-green eyes. His muscled torso played peek-a-boo as the wind blew his shirt around him. There was something about the orange slow of the sunset that made him look absolutely stunning. I swallowed and turned away because I realized I was starting to stare. He chuckled a little and I mumbled something about having to leave because I'd be late. I couldn't stand being in his presence any longer.