Chapter 2: Neon

Lights blared past the cab window as I made my way back to the hotel. The streets were surprisingly empty for a Wednesday night. I sat in silence as my mind ruminated the events of the last hour.

"What do you mean you can't do it?"
"Call him back and cancel. Tell him I'm sick or something. Organize a replacement. Maybe one of the newbies."
"You call him yourself."
"Just do it. You're on station duty; it's your job to make all the calls today."

Emmet glared at me, before his look transformed into one of curiosity.

"Why?"
"Look, it's complicated. I just don't want to do it."

He looked amused. "Ex of yours or something?"
"No. Just cancel the request so he can make other plans."
"Are you sure it's the same Swash Glynn as whoever you're trying to avoid?"
"Does 'Swash' sound like a common name to you?"
"So...why cancel? You've fucked even more repugnant people. Remember Charles?"

I exhaled in exasperation. Emmet was right though; I mean Charles insisted that we do it in a tub of piss he'd spent about three hours preparing. I got really drunk before trying that shit with him, but he paid handsomely. $700 easy. Better than anyone else had ever done.

"It's not something I want to get into right now."
"I really want to know, and you're avoiding the subject."
"Maybe you should just respect my decision and stop asking questions."

Emmet got up suddenly.

"Hey! Where are you going? Cancel Glynn before you go anywhere."
"I really want to get outside. I've been breathing in Dorian for the past seven hours and I want to pop over at my boyfriend's real quick."

I respected Alex for sticking by someone like Emmet. I can't imagine it being easy to be dating a sex worker. Then again, some porn stars were married and that's like being a whore in front of the entire planet. And Alex was the type of guy who could get any guy he wanted. Six foot four, almost always tanned, ripped body and dazzling smile, always sporting a five-o'clock shadow, wavy and shaggy hair that softened his strongly masculine features. Alex always made me think of the "I'll fuck him until he dies" which I saw posted on a YouTube comment. Sadly, he was also very loyal so I strongly doubted that would ever happen. He seemed very smitten by Emmet, who I just thought was obnoxious. Maybe they were different around each other. Couples always seemed like that.

"Hey, Earth to Porky!" Emmet was snapping his fingers in front of my face. I must have zoned off again. My cock was stirring at the sexual images that had flashed through my mind.

"You've still not called him to cancel."
"Call him yourself. I don't see any reason why I should cancel it for you." He was smirking. I wanted to punch his teeth in. I seethed quietly.

"I'll get you back for this."
"Got to go. Alex is waiting."

He was out of the door before I could tell him to come back. I bristled in rage. Why couldn't Emmet just stop being a nosy asshole? And why was I dreading meeting Swash anyway? I doubt he still remembered me. The last time he'd seen me was about four years ago, and we weren't friends in any way.

House Call. The bold red letters seemed to be glaring at me from the computer screen, seeming to mock at my doubts that Swash didn't remember me. I took a deep breath and reached for the phone. I dialed. It rang for several seconds.

"Hey-” I pressed the end button before I could hear any more of his voice. My heart was pounding. I didn't know what I was going to say. I sighed and closed my eyes, feeling defeated.

Maybe I'll just not show up. Dorian was going to kill me.

I snapped out of my thoughts as the cab stopped in front of the hotel. I paid him and got out. I checked the message on my phone again to confirm the room number as I walked to the receptionist and was surprised to see the same guy. I thought he'd have finished his shift.