Chapter 10

Obviously it's crappy to have the guy you're dating hundreds of miles away. Either way, work was taking all my energy. The Harold fraud thing was taking everyone's energy. My boss said little, and all his demands had to do with business. He didn't talk about Piet or our date for the rest of the week. I know he caught me talking to his friend on the phone a couple of times but still he kept whatever opinion he might have to himself. And that's where I'd like him to keep it.

"Howdy, Miss 'Piet Rush's Wednesday night date'."

I rolled my eyes at Kenny, once he dropped the pink and yellow gossip magazine over my desk.

"Funny guy, aren't you?"

"I like to think so." He grinned "All the sticks down at Pandora are cursing you, as we speak."

"I thought I felt a tingling down my spine" I grinned up at him.

"Are you gonna spill the beans or what?"

"He's a great kisser. Polite, a gentleman."

"That's it?" He snorted "C'mon, even I had a hotter date than that!"

"Happy for you, then."

"C'mon, G!" He moaned, dropping to his knees in front of my desk, making me giggle "Just give me some dark, Harlequin novel worthy, details!"

"I honestly don't have any!" I laughed.

"Miss McAllister."

Kenny jumped to his feet as my boss came from his office.

"Mr. von Hauser. Sir" My friend actually bowed.

"Mr. Lane." Mr. von Hauser nodded, and then stared at me "Miss McAllister, I need you in here for a second."

He walked inside his office again and I picked up both his and my schedule as I stood up.

"I'll talk to you at lunch" I whispered at Kenny, and his thin face grinned like a leprechaun.

"Close the door, please." My boss instructed as I walked inside his office "What do I got going on this weekend?"

"Other than your usual family lunch, Sunday, not much, actually" I shrugged.

"Did we get the invitations for the American Red Cross charity gala, at The Plaza?"

"Huh... yes, sir. We did" I frowned.

"When is it?"

"This weekend, I think." I checked on my own schedule "Yes, this Saturday, at The Plaza."

"Good." He said, nodding, still not eyeing me "Do you have any plans for this weekend, Miss McAllister?"

"Excuse me?"

His left brow went up.

"Huh, no. Not really."

"Great. The gala starts at eight pm. It's a formal event, as I'm sure you know. I'll be expecting you at seven thirty."

"Excuse me, what are you talking about?" I frowned.

"Me and the limo driver" He said, frowning himself.

"Shut up!" I shrieked.

"Excuse me?" He frowned, more like he was alarmed than confused.

"You're inviting me to go with you to an actual social event?!" I gasped "Mr. von Hauser, do you have a brain tumor?"

"Weren't you the one who said I needed to freshen up my image? Well, what better freshen up then to attend a charity ball?"

"Why me?" I mumbled, suspiciously.