Chapter 23

I had Christmas music playing on my phone as I packed my bag in the walk in closet. My hair was still damp from the shower. It had been a long day in the December issue photo-shoot, and my body was sore from the hard work; but it was a good pain, the kind like the job was done, you know? Julian was taking his own shower and in about an hour, hour and a half, we would be flying to Tennessee to meet my family for Thanksgiving.

I eyed Julian's suitcase, standing beside mine, and laughed. Leave it to Julian to make my suitcase look like a child's, for his was perfectly organized as ever. Everything in that leather suitcase was neatly pressed, folded and packed.

As the doorbell sounded, I twisted my damp hair into a knot and both frowned and whined as Julian's mom met me on the other side.

"Good evening, Mrs. von Hauser."

"Is this a bad time?."

"No, it's fine..." I lied, checking the time on my watch "Julian's in the shower. I'll call him-"

"No. Please, don't." She mumbled quickly as I closed the door behind me, letting her come inside "I came to talk to you, actually."

I frowned, but gestured for her to follow me towards the kitchen.

"You want a coffee?" I asked, turning the coffee machine on.

"No, it's fine. I only came to... apologize, actually." She mumbled and I widened my eyes in surprise "I know I was... well, very unpleasant, a couple of weeks ago... I'm sorry if I offended you, Miss McAllister; I mean it."

"It's fine, Mrs. von Hauser." I assured her, turning the coffee machine off again "Can I be blunt?"

"Aren't you always?" She smiled a little.

"Are you apologizing because you honestly believe you were unfair to me, or is this just so your son doesn't stay mad at you? It's fine, just tell me the truth" I asked, my hands up once she frowned.

"Honestly? Both. Obviously I don't want my son mad at me; I love him and I do know I was unfair to you. It's just, Miss Mc-"

"Please, just call me Georgia." I smiled and she chuckled "You're Julian's mom, we can't have all this tension between us."

"Fair enough. Truth is, Georgia, I loved Melinda. I thought she was the right woman for Julian. She was calm, poised, educated..."

"All Julian is."

"Well, I knew that no other woman would appreciate him for who he really is. I thought Melinda would be the one to help him relax and... I guess I thought they were perfect for each other." She shrugged "Obviously I was wrong."

"People make mistakes, and people do lie" I pointed out.

"Very true, Georgia. I just couldn't believe she would do what she did to my son!" She mumbled "I mean, the woman is a lady! I know her parents for years! Anyway, Julian was hurt; no matter what he tells you, it hurt him. He might not have been in love with her, but he cared for her. And she deceived him."

I could see bitterness in her beautiful face.

"I know." I nodded "I know him, Mrs. von Hauser; I know the man I live with, and I assure you that Miss Trevino hurt him. But your son is stronger than he lets anyone see."

"I've come to learn that. That day... I saw a side of my son I had never seen before. It hurt to hear him say all he said. But" She put a hand up so I wouldn't interrupt "he was right, and I needed to hear it from him. Bottom line is, I believe he loves you, and I can see how much you love him. Although, I fear I have to say it'll take a while until I trust you a hundred percent."