Chapter Twenty-Seven: Silas

There is a knock on the door. It's a little after ten, and we have to be up early to beat the sun. If Jamie thinks he is pulling off some last-minute bachelor party, he is crazy.

I move the chain off the door. "Keep your eyes closed," Nik says. I do as she says. Her fingers search my face and put a sleep mask over my eyes. I blindly find her face, and she is wearing one too.

"What are you doing?"

"We can't see each other; it's bad luck."

"Then why push our luck?"

"I can't sleep without you." Thank god, I couldn't sleep either. "Guide me to bed."

I tuck us in the best I can. "I love you."

"I love you."

_______________

"You look, good man," Jamie says next to me as we fix our white and sage flower pins in the mirror.

We are both in beige suits with brown belts and white button-downs. We leave the top two undone. Our dads will match us minus the flower things.

None of us are wearing shoes.

Fluttering takes over my core. I'm nervous, excited. Sleeping with her last night helped although I was none too pleased to wake up alone.

She left a watch and a note on her side of the bed. I'll try next never not to wear it.

"You look so handsome!" My mom beams. She has been living for this day my whole life.

"You look pretty, mom." She, Gayle, and Sofia are in different beachy dresses but all the same sage color. "Let's get down to that beach. I can't be late." I say, tapping my new watch.

Our families and I wait on the beach. Jaime is our minister. Sofia and Gayle are on my right and my parents on my left.

It's just about sunrise, so the beach is empty. Our only company being the crabs and the pelicans. The more time that passes, to more anxious I get. I want to see my beautiful fiancé. The camera girl comes out from the grasses.

She's almost here.

Her eyes meet mine, and I can't help but tear up. My heartbeat fills my ears.

My mom squeezes my hand. "You're lucky, Silas." She doesn't know the half of it. I won the lottery with her.

God, she's perfect. The sunrise glows on her like a halo. She is so beautiful.

She told me every detail of her dress, but I didn't expect it to be this breathtaking on her. Her dress has lace butterfly sleeves and a low v-neck, which mirrors in the back. There is a belt at her natural waist.

It's a champagne-colored dress with a white lace overlay. She had said she didn't like pure white, and she wasn't fooling anyone pretending to be a virgin bride. As if I could be in a relationship with her and not make love to her endlessly. Look at her!

Her makeup is natural, and her hair is down and curly. A thin sage and white flower crown lay on top of her head.

"I love you." I mouth to her.