9. Sweet Reunion

Laura's POV

There was only three days till Sarah's wedding and I was already getting nervous. In all honesty I couldn't wait to get it over with. There has been so much chaos because of this wedding that all I wanted to do after it was all over was hiberate for the next year. 

Work had also worn me out. Being a nurse and taking care of patients was not an easy job. I can admit I have met some really incredible people doing what I do but I have also witnessed more deaths than I would have liked to.

Its hard watching someone die or trying to comfort a family member who is grieving. What do you say to help them? Nothing. That is what I have learned. No amount of words can ease their hearts. 

I started fiddling with the patient files in my hands anxiously. Michael invited me over his house tonight to pre-celebrate their wedding. I'm not even sure what exactly they were celebrating this time.

My theory is that they just like to throw parties but maybe we all needed it after all the planning we went through. I was hesitating on going. Since Chris left I had been true to my word. I broke it off with Aaron and stopped hanging out with his family. 

I know it was selfish of me to break it off with Aaron before we even got a chance at giving it a go but it wasn't all because of Chris. I couldn't really see a future with Aaron and it wasn't just because of the two year age gap. I was twenty-one and loving it. Chris if I wasn't mistaken was a year older than me. 

I took the file and wacked it against my forehead. Why was I thinking of him? I found myself frequently thinking about him even though I try so hard to push him at the very back of my mind. He didn't deserve my thoughts to be honest.

He was a jerk with no morals or integrity. But I couldn't help it sometimes. I felt like he was lost and looking for a way out but refused to let anyone help him. 

"Laura," her cheery voice pulled me out of my thought trance. "Earth to Laura."

I shook my head a little and focused in on Beatrice. She had her long blond hair pulled back into a nice classic bun giving her that professional look. 

"Sorry I was just in my own world."

Beatrice smirked. "Yes, I noticed."

Just a few more days. Just a few more days. I had to remind myself. That's when it popped up. I had forgotten. Today was the day Chris was coming back. I groaned. 

"What were you thinking about?" Beatrice looked at me with her curious brown eyes. 

I shook my head. "Nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Well I know something that will cheer you up," she smirked. "Jello," she joked. 

I scrunched up my face. I was so over jello especially since it was the special dessert the hospital served. 

"Ok, ok. How about some chocolate then?" She said waving the delicious chocolate bar in front of my face. 

I quickly snatched it from her hands and she laughed.  

"Have you ever been in a situation where you want to help someone and you're so close but when it comes down to it they pull away?"

Beatrice gave me a warm smile like she typically did when she was just about to give me the best advice ever. "You can't save someone that doesn't want to be saved." 

She was right, of course. Did I want to save Chris? 

No. I made up my mind. Chris wasn't worth saving. He didn't deserve saving after the way he was treating me. I know the impression Ben gave Chris of me wasn't a good one but that still doesn't give him the right to treat me like a cheap whore. No. Chris was nothing to me.