22. Waiting on the Past

I just want to thank you all for sticking with me this far. It still amazes me how much you love this story as much as I do. I'm even thinking about writing a sequel when this one is all done. 

Here's to you. Enjoy
_______________________________________________

Laura's POV 

Today was Mr. Compton's funeral. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to go but I knew no amount of debating would change my mind. I had to go. I was too close to their family not to go and pay my respects. Plus Edith would appreciate my presence.

I pulled a sweater over my black lace dress and stared at my reflection. I usually wore all black anyway but this time it was morbid. I hated wearing black when I was in a case like this. 

"Where are you going?"

I didn't have time to go by home so I had to change at Will's. 

"The funeral." I knew he didn't want me to go because of Chris. 

"I don't want you to go." He came up behind me. 

"I'm not surprised you feel that way." 

He crossed his arms over his broad chest. That's not a good sign.  

"I don't think it's a good idea Laura."

I sighed. "Will I've known their family for as long as I can remember. I have to go."

He dropped his gaze to the floor and I knew he was surrendering. I went to him and wrapped my arms around his torso. 

He probably didn't trust me. Could I blame him? I kissed his tensed muscles. "I won't stay long."

I traced the fresh scars on his face. Chris did one hell of a job. "What were you thinking?" I whispered referring to the fight. 

"He punched me first."

I wouldn't put it passed Chris either. But Will must have said something to fire him up. 

"What were you fighting about?"

He kissed the top of my head. "It doesn't matter."

Was he kidding? "Will, that fight could have cost you your job. Of course it matters."

He pulled out of my arms. "Drop it Laura."

I hated when he told me to do something, Especially something like this. 

"No I won't drop it. You guys almost killed each other."

Will's eyes went cold. "Well that would have solved some problems now wouldn't it."

Wow. I couldn't believe he was being like this. I understood his anger but why was he being so nasty. 

"What's wrong with you?" This side of him was scaring me. 

He laughed. "What's wrong with me? Do you want to know what we were fighting about? Cause I'll tell you." His eyes were blazed with insanity. "Chris mentioned how you enjoyed the kiss he forced on you."

My stomach dropped. I figured it was about me but I didn't think Chris would tell him about the kiss. 

"How you kissed him back."

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't deny it, he would see right through me. I stared at the floor because I couldn't take his crazed and hurt face. 

His rough hands yanked my chin up. "Oh no baby. You're not backing down now."

Will's hand clawed my hip, keeping me in place and from running away.