corners of my heart

As I heard those words on that all too sunny morning my heart involuntarily sunk to the depths.

I felt my eyes flicker and body stiffen in effort not to give my emotions away.

Again, the unwanted fear of someone seeing my raw feelings in clear daylight controlled my actions.

I had no choice but to continue through the day, caught in the current of my feelings, rushing up
then down,
whilst my brain ever watched closely, not letting one feeling pass unanalysed.

I began to love noise.
Not for any other reason than the fact it distracted me from myself.
Where there was noise, there was no silence.

I let the cycle continue, rush about until I can rush no more.
Only in the safety of my room would I allow myself to carefully peel back the corner of my heart. But even then, it was all too overwhelming. Easier to leave things covered and unnoticed.

The more I left my heart, the harder it was to uncover, the more I rushed and I began to lose myself more and more.

Until one day.
I met someone with a beautifully, chaotic uncovered heart.
Messy.
But somehow, simply right.

Slowly, day by day, whenever I felt brave, I began to uncover the corners of my heart.
And one day, I hope I will be brave enough to let someone else see it too.