15. Ride With Me

Phana, Beam, and Kit sat at a small table by the window in the library. They had a test coming up and had been studying since their last class of the day earlier that afternoon. Beam let out a big yawn and Kit dropped his pen to rub his eyes. Phana was the only one who looked like he didn't want to stop studying.

"Ugh, I can't look at these notes anymore. My eyes feel like they're going to fall out of my head." Kit complained, laying his head down on the table.

"I agree. And I'm getting sleepy." Beam said blinking away the tears that sprung up from yawning.

"But our test is this Friday." Phana looked at the both of them.

"Yes, and we've been in this library for eight hours." Kit said flatly. He sat up and checked his watch. "We've been here since 2:30. It's already a little after 10:30."

Beam let out another big yawn. "Come on Ai'Pha. Let's go home. We still have tomorrow to study."

Phana looked at his friends who were clearly struggling to stay focused then sighed. "Alright, alright."

"Yeaaa." Kit smiled and immediately began packing up his things. Beam took out his phone to check if he had any missed messages. Still no Line message from Forth. Forth had texted him a few hours ago to ask if he wanted to go eat dinner together, but Beam told him that he was studying at the library for their upcoming test so he couldn't. Forth never responded after that. Was he mad?

"I'm hungry. Let's go eat." Kit said, standing to his feet. Phana started to stuff his books into his bag.

"I'd rather go to sleep." Beam said nonchalantly.

Both Kit and Phana froze and stared at their friend in shock. Beam stopped putting away his papers and stared back at them.

"...what?" Beam blinked awkwardly.

"You're turning down food??" Kit exclaimed.

"You're never too anything for food. Are you okay? Is your head still bothering you?" Phana asked, reaching over to feel Beam's forehead.

"I'm fine. I'm just really sleepy. And all the canteens are closed by now. We would have to go off campus."

"But you can never sleep when you're hungry. Are you sure you're okay?" Kit frowned.

"I'm fine guys. Really."

Kit and Phana exchanged looks and sat quietly for a few moments. Then a knowing look came across Kit's face.

"Or...are you already meeting a certain someone tonight?" Kit asked mischievously. Phana caught on quickly.

"Ohh ho ho! So you already have plans with you-know-who." Phana wiggled his eyebrows.

"That's not it!"

"Then what is it? Either you made plans with him or you're still sick, because I don't believe that you're just sleepy. This is food we're talking about."

"I'm. Just. Tired." Beam was starting to feel exasperated. How could he explain to them why he wasn't hungry when he couldn't even explain it to himself? He didn't know why he wasn't hungry. All he knew was that ever since Forth kissed his cheek the other night, his usual constant hunger had been replaced by constant butterflies.

Phana and Kit stared at him a moment longer with Kit squinting in blatant disbelief.

"Whatever you say, I guess." Phana said, then continued to pack his things up and zip up his bag. "But I'm hungry and I want to eat something that's not from the 7/11."