13. The First Date

Beam stood in front of his full length mirror by the door brushing at his hair. It was still wet from his shower and he didn't know how he wanted to style it. Slicked back? Nahh...

Middle mart? Ew. No.

Side part? Eck. That didn't look good either.

Why is nothing looking right?? Beam screamed internally. Blow dryer. Where's my blow dryer?

Beam ran back into his bathroom to grab his blow dryer and began working on his hair again. He didn't even really know why he was so nervous. He had hung out with Forth alone before - the day he spilled his coffee milk in the canteen - so why would this be any different? Forth was actually pretty nice. And he was caring too.

Beam thought about how Forth slept next to him at the hospital the day he got hit in the face. Forth had been adamant about not leaving Beam alone and taking full responsibility about being the one that hit him in the face. Then his words that day at the canteen came floating back to his mind.

I don't go out more than once with people unless they're my friends or it's a date.

Was this really a date with Forth? Was it true that Forth was interested in him? His friends had been quick to back out...was it really a set up?

There were too many questions with no answers and Beam felt like he was going to drive himself crazy if he kept thinking about them. And the fact that it was now night time definitely made this feel more like a date than two friends hanging out.

Beam set down the blow dryer and fixed his shirt. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to wear on this...date-friend-hangout, so he threw on a clean, white button down shirt with some light blue slacks that stopped right above the ankles. His crisp and clean white shoes sat by the door for when it was time to go, and as if on cue, there was a knock on his door.

Beam's heart immediately went into overdrive. It was Forth; it had to be. He wasn't expecting anybody else. He took some breaths to steady his breathing before opening the door.

And there was absolutely nothing Beam could do to stop the breath from leaving his body when his eyes landed on Forth. It was almost mind boggling to see Forth out of his engineering uniform. He wore a black, short sleeved T-shirt that was a bit too tight for him. But it looked good because it showed off the muscles in his arms and the curve of his strong chest. He wore dark wash jeans and black boots.

 All he needed was a pair of aviator sunglasses and he'd truly look like he belonged on a motorcycle

"Wow Beam..." Forth looked him up and down. He was checking Beam out just as much as Beam was checking him out, but he tried to hide it. He cleared his throat. "Don't you have any "regular people" clothes?"

Beam blinked in confusion and looked down at himself as if he forgot what he was wearing.

"Is something wrong?" He turned back to the mirror. Maybe he shouldn't have worn such pale colors? Pale colors on pale skin could sometimes wash out the skin tone.