Ch.7

(EMMA'S POV)

The next day, I was completely surprised when Harry showed up at my door. I thought that he would avoid me after I rejected him- but no, he had to be the amazing person he was and show me how much he cared. When I saw him, I felt my face light up, happiness exploded inside of me. Then I remembered my little plan to prevent him from getting hurt, that I couldn't be the person I wanted to when I was around him. 

I had the feeling that keeping him away from me would be harder than I thought.

I looked up at Harry as he walked into my hospital room, sitting down on the little couch next to me. He looked tired, like he didn't get enough sleep.

"Hey Em," he said, acting like nothing was wrong.

"Hi," I replied, moving my gaze to the floor.

The atmosphere soon became awkward- for the first time since I met Harry. We always had stuff to talk about, so both of us being quiet was very unusual.

I pretended to gnaw at my fingernails, never letting myself look into those amazing green eyes.

Harry cleared his throat and repositioned himself next to me. "So how are you feeling?"

I merely shrugged, trying to be as distant as possible.

(HARRY'S POV)

Something was so different about Emma. I noticed it the moment I walked into her room. She seemed so distant, like we were only strangers. I tried acting normal, pretending like nothing happened the day before, but unfortunately it had. I hated myself for ruining our friendship, I hated myself for breaking the best thing in my life.

I finally had enough with the uncomfortable silence so I turned towards Emma. "Look, I don't want what happened yesterday to make things awkward for us. If you are more comfortable with staying as friends, then so be it, but I don't want to lose you."

I watched Emma carefully as she shuddered at my words, confusion flooding my body. Why was she acting like this? Just a few days ago, our friendship was perfect. We could joke around, talk about any subject, just hang out- as long as we were together, we were happy. Now it seemed as though our friendship was as dull as a piece of cardboard. In the couple of weeks I had known her, it had never been like this.

I studied Emma, waiting for her to say something- anything. She continued staring at the wall, never giving me the time of day.

I couldn't take it anymore. I stood up, walking in front of her so that her gaze landed on me. Instead of looking at me, her eyes found their way to the floor.

"Emma," I said, trying to get her attention. She didn't move a muscle, her body was as still as a marble statue.

"Emma… Look at me," I swallowed the lump in my throat, making me realize that I was about to cry.

Still, she didn't respond. She just continued looking at the floor. The less responsive she was, the more angry I became.

My hands ran themselves through my curls. "God dammit Emma!" I bellowed, finally unleashing my fury. "Why won't you talk to me? I am sorry that I ruined everything, I'm trying so hard to make you happy, but you are making it so fucking hard!"

Emma looked up after I finished screaming at her. I immediately regretted what I said- I saw tears threaten to spill out of her eyes.

She stood up and took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. "Do you want to know what would make me happy, Harry? Do you really want to know? If you would leave and never visit me again! I don't want to see you!"

Her words sliced through my heart like a knife. I couldn't believe my ears. All I wanted was her in my life, and all she wanted was me out of her life. I felt the tears flow down my face uncontrollably. 

I gave her one last look, and walked out of her room.

I made a promise to keep her happy, so I left. No matter how much pain she had just caused me, I had to do what she wanted.

Because that's what you do for the people you care about.

(EMMA'S POV)

I wanted to take it back as soon as it left my mouth. I watched as his beautiful face crumpled up, thick streams of water spilling out of his tear ducts. Before I could say anything, he stormed out of my hospital room. All I wanted to do was jump into his arms and never let go, but that wasn't an option. His compassion and kindness was only making me adore him more, but I couldn't let it get to me. I couldn't let him get hurt. And so, I said the venomous words to him, trying to make it seem like it was the truth.

I had to do it. I knew that if I kept seeing him any longer, I would forget about my plan and let him have me. Let myself have him. I had to remind myself that even though I had just hurt him tremendously, in the long run he would come out better. He wouldn't have to suffer through the pain of watching me die, slowly coil into nothing but skin and bones. He wouldn't have to see me so vulnerable, and feel the need to fight my fights for me. I knew that I had just ended it quick and easy- like pulling off a band-aid. He would hurt for a few minutes, but soon forget me- the wound in his life.

Deep down, I prayed that he would come back, because deep down, I knew that I couldn't live without him.

___________________________

**I know this is short, and I'm sorry! The next chapters will be longer, I promise! WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Read my FINISHED fanfics, "The Step-Brother" and "The Teacher"?

tweet me, i'll follow you! @alylovess1d

kik me! alyloves1direction

vote? it would make my day!

fan me for updates!

you are so amazing, i can't handle it. xx**