Ch.22

(HARRY'S POV)

There I was, sitting in the hospital waiting room with both of Emma's parents, waiting for the moment of truth. After I called an ambulance and they hauled her away, I raced back to the ER, praying that my sweet Emma was okay. I was so guilt-ridden, I could barely acknowledge her parents, knowing I was the one that did this to her. How stupid was I that I unhooked her from all of her medications and UV's, what was I thinking? It felt like there was a huge lump of rocks in my gut, knowing that the odds were most likely not in my favor. If Emma didn't make it, it was because of me. I was the one who endangered her when I only wanted to keep her safe. I managed to mess up, despite all of the promises I made not only to Emma, but also to me. I had hurt Emma in too many ways to count, and it killed me to know that.

I tried to keep my mind off everything, telling myself that Emma was going to be alright. I flipped through the latest magazines, spotting nothing but articles about Quinn McPhee and me. I stared at the faded old piece of paper where the 'Bucket List' was scribbled, adding a check mark next to 'jump out of a plane.' Another wave of misery rolled in, just more examples of how I screwed up. I didn't even get to explain to Emma, I didn't even get to tell her I loved her, or give her one last kiss. I didn't get to see her smile, the one thing that could make my day.

I didn't get to finish the fairytale I planned out in my head, where Emma and I lived happily ever after. 

The more time that passed, the more afraid I was getting. I was anxious, all I wanted to know was how Emma was doing. An idea flicked in my mind, making me pull my wallet out of my back pocket. I folded it open, slipping out the rectangular paper from the bottom of the money pocket. I stared at the three pictures, memories sparking in my mind. It was months ago, the first time I had met Emma, when I dragged her into the photo booth. The first picture showed us smiling, and I noted that Emma was looking exceptionally gorgeous on that day- it was in the first stages of her cancer, when she was still healthy. In the second photo, I was sticking my tongue out while Emma crossed her eyes and squished her cheeks together. I chuckled at the frozen moment of time, wishing it could all go back. The third picture was the one that made my heart skip a beat. We had decided to do another smiling picture, but at the last minute, I snuck a kiss on Emma's cheek. I didn't know what made me do it, all I knew was that I was immediately attracted to her. I studied the photos a bit longer before hiding them back in my wallet, safe and sound.

We had been waiting for a good three hours when the doctor emerged from the hallway illuminated by flickering fluorescent lights. I sprinted up to him as fast as I could, Emma's parents joining me moments later.

I tried reading the emotion on the doctor's face, but it was blank.

"So? How is she?" I urged him, wanting to know the verdict more than anything else in this world.

"Emma's heart gave out and we had to put her on a machine that does the work for her. She is in a coma right now, we don't think she is going to make it."

The doctor waited for it to sink in before bowing his head a bit. "I'm so sorry, we did everything we could, her body was just too weak."