vīgintī duo

Dahlia had just settled into her bed for the night, and sent Asta in her way, when a knock on the door sounded

Dahlia had just settled into her bed for the night, and sent Asta in her way, when a knock on the door sounded. She called out to them to enter, not bothering to get out her bed, and the God of Mischief walked into her room.

"Loki," Dahlia sat up, a smile forming on her face. She had not been expecting to see him until the next morning. But when she saw how angry he looked, and saw his reddened eyes, she grew worried. "Loki, what is it?"

The Prince walked up to her bed and leaned down, pressing his lips to hers in a haste manner. He set his hands on the side of her face and deepened the kiss.

They only parted when Loki couldn't breathe any longer, and he pulled away and held back a sob. In the secrecy of Dahlia's chambers, his guard was down and he allowed himself to feel every emotion.

Dahlia grew worried; she had never seen him like this. "What has happened?"

The Prince did not want to tell her. How could he? "Let's run away." He told her. "We can go very far from here."

Dahlia only shook her head. "What has brought on these thoughts and these tears?" She pressed her hand against his cool cheek.

"Mother brought very troubling news. I do not know how to tell you."

Dahlia grew worried. "Has something happened to my family?"

"No, sweet thing, your family is very much okay. The All-Father has... he has demanded a betrothal between your family and mine."

The Princess' mind started to run a mile a minute. She blinked a few times as she thought of why Loki would possibly be upset over this. It was not what either of them wanted; but she did not object to being wed to him.

"Do you not want to be wed?" She asked him with concern.

Her innocent question caused tears to burn in the God of Mischief's eyes. "No, my love. I would give anything for it. The betrothal is not between you and I."

"But then..." Dahlia's eyes grew wide with realization and her stomach sank to her feet. "I am to marry Thor?"

"As it seems."

"Well, I won't. I shall tell Odin that I will never marry him."

Loki took her hand. "My Princess, if you were to refuse it would be treason. It is a demand. Your mother cannot stop it."

"But Loki, I don't want to marry him." Dahlia said with the upmost innocence; it broke his heart.

Loki grew soft at the tear that slipped past her eye. "I promise you, you will not wed him. He does not want it. I know it. He will speak to Odin himself and get him to change his mind. I know it, father will listen to him."

"But what if he doesn't? How is it my date to marry a man I do not love. I was never supposed to marry in the first place, it is not of my culture. How can he do this?" Dahlia cried.

Loki immediately moved to her side and pulled Dahlia into his arms. "It will be okay, my love."

"And what of you? What if I am made to do this?"

In truth, Loki did not know what he would do. He has always wanted the throne, he deserved it, but now he would give it up in a moment to keep Dahlia in his arms.

"What if we run away?" He asked her. "We can go somewhere far from here."

Dahlia looked at him then, unsure of what to say. She cares for him, more than anything, though how could she run away. "What of my family? If we were to leave, what would happen to them?"

Then it was Loki's turn to be unsure of what to say. Surely if they were to leave, the All-Father's anger would spread into Alfheim. His need to save face would surely create a war.

With a sigh, Loki held her closer to him. "I will think of something. I promise you. You will not marry anyone you chose not to."

Dahlia nodded and wiped her tears. She trusted Loki; surely he would figure something out. She had faith in him.

*

The hall was filling with Asgardian's. Dahlia stood next to the Queen, and the Prince's were on the other side of the stairs. Odin sat in the middle, on the throne.

Loki stared intently at Dahlia, trying to read her emotions. He knew how upset she was, as was he, and he wished more than anything it was last night again. He longed to hold the beautiful Elf in his arms and kiss her sorrows away, as he did last night. He spent the night consoling her and reassuring her, until she fell asleep in his arms.

Though morning had come, and that meant everything came along with it.

The Light Elf Princess stared at the floor, and for once, no smile sat on her face. She felt emotionless, ripped raw of them. She wanted to go home. As much as she cared for Loki, she wished that she never came here. What was the point of falling for Loki if nothing ever came from it.

When the grand throne room finished filling, Odin stood and the room went quiet.

"People of Asgard, I bid you a good noon and I thank you for your visitation. I have the most important news to bring to you all." The All-Father said. He looked at his people, and then at his sons. There was a guilt over his heart; he knew that Loki favored the Light Elf.

But this wedding would be for political gain, and he could not allow an alliance between Jotunheim and Alfheim take place. Even if it wasn't known.

"In a fortnight from tonight, Prince Thor of Asgard, will be crowned King of Asgard and take his place on the throne."

An eruption of cheers sounded from the crowd; creating a mix of emotions from the royals on the stairs. Loki felt angry, jealous, and devastated. Dahlia was grieving. And Thor was proud. He was arrogant and young.

"In addition to that," Odin spoke. The God of Thunder looked at his father in confusion. He did not know of any additions. "The Princess of Alfheim, daughter of the Majestic Queen Freyja, and a deity of nature, has been betrothed to the soon King of Asgard."

The crowd yet again cheered; as a single tear fell from Dahlia's eye. Loki projected an identical copy of him on the stairs, and left the throne room himself.

The God of Thunder stared at his father; confusion and anger taking over his emotions. He did not want a Queen by his side, and if there were to be one, Lady Sif would be his first choice. He knew of the relationship between Dahlia and his brother; he did not want to come between it.

But what could he do?

"Princess Dahlia, Prince Thor." Odin nodded at the two.

Thor stepped up and Dahlia did as well. She grabbed his arm and together they looked out into the applauding crowd. The Asgardian's were overjoyed by the attractive couple.

Though no one noticed the mixed feelings of Thor, and while Dahlia graced the crowd with a beautiful smile, no one could see the pain that spoke from her eyes.