Bloodlines

The spells that Klaus had me perform drained my body of energy more than I thought. When I awoke in my bed, I find that it is noon the next day. I had slept for about twenty hours, more than I've done in decades. No one had bothered to wake me up, so I know nothing is going on, or at least nothing that concerns me. I change out of my pajamas and into a red, long-sleeved lace dress. I pull on my favorite black booties and walk out of my room. The air is surprisingly warm which leads me to suspect that someone has a fire going in the house. I walk down the stairs and stop in the kitchen to grab a glass of blood. As I pour the blood into the glass, I can hear someone playing the piano in the library. Following the sound, I take my glass and walk towards it. When I enter the library, I find Elijah sitting behind the piano playing something of the baroque period. He stops when he sees me.

"Good morning," he says, "or should I say good afternoon?"

I smile, "sorry, I didn't realize that I was that tired."

"It's the power," Elijah says, "but you're getting better. We all see it."

I nod, "where is everyone?"

"Niklaus has sent Kol and Gwen to Denver," Elijah answers.

"Why," I ask.

"As it turns out, Damon and Elena set out on a trip to bring Jeremy back and figure out who they're descended from," Elijah answers, "Klaus wants to stop them."

"Because if they find out it wasn't Klaus then they'll kill him," I say, "why didn't you go?"

"I wanted to remain here," Elijah says, "to make sure you were alright."

"I'm fine," I say smiling.

"Are you going to answer the underlying question or do I have to ask," he asks me and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What are you talking about," I ask.

"Kol is still in love with you if it wasn't obvious," Elijah states what I already knew, "he misses you."

"It's been 100 years Elijah," I say, "I've moved on. So where is the handsome Niklaus?"

Elijah sighs, dropping the subject on Kol, "Rebekah and him are waiting for you at the Salvatore house."

"What are they doing there," I almost hiss.

"It seems that Alaric has lost the last stake," Elijah says, getting up from the piano. He walks over next to me and we both sit on the couch.

"What do you mean 'lost'," I ask.

"Mr. Saltzman wears a ring that was crafted by a witch. It allows him to cheat death. Apparently, each time Alaric died, it changed him," Elijah says, "it made him develop an alternate personality. One that hated not only vampires, but vampire sympathizers."

"So what are you telling me," I ask.

"I'm telling you that Alaric's alternate personality has hidden the last stake," Elijah says, "he doesn't know where it would be and I'm certain the Salvatores would've handed it over by now if they knew where it was."

I sigh, "So Klaus and Rebekah are helping Stefan get the stake back somehow?"

He nods, "they want to push Alaric to his limits so that his other side will come out."

"And how are they going to do that," I ask.

"Push him close to death," Elijah says. I tense and I know he notices. "They're not going to kill him," Elijah assures, "they're just going to push him enough so that he'll tell them where the stake is."

"Why do they want me there," I ask, taking a sip of the blood.

"Klaus and Rebekah are having a hard time with Stefan," Elijah admits, "They think you'll be able to deal with him better than they have."