The Mikaelson Ball

The ball started exactly at 7:00. Esther had been tedious not to start late. She had spent the whole day decorating the house with Finn and Gwen. When I had returned to the house, the stairs had lights strung in them. The house filled me with a warm welcome as I walked through it. Rebekah had dragged me up the stairs and into her room. She had a dress laid out on the bed. It was a dark red, strapless, four-layered tulle dress.

"It's not exactly traditional Mikaelson," Rebekah told me, "but then again, you aren't a traditional Mikaelson."

"What are you wearing," I had asked. Rebekah pulled out her dress from the closet. It was a dark green, mermaid, satin, one-shoulder dress. "That is definitely a traditional Mikaelson dress," I say to her.

She smiles, "you should see Gwen's. It's navy blue with a satin tulle. It's got like ruffles on the tulle and it's too her."

I laugh, "everything Gwen wears is too her." Rebekah made me put on my dress as she put hers on, to make sure it fit. It did, not to my surprise, but Rebekah made me keep it on.

"We only have an hour till the ball anyway," she protested. That was an hour ago. Now, I'm standing against the balcony that peeks over the staircase. The constant opening and closing of the front door lets a cool draft come through the house every now and then. I spot Carol Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes in the crowd below. Klaus, Finn, and Kol had already descended the stairs and mingled into the crowd, but I hold back. Damon and Stefan aren't here yet and neither is Elena. I hear someone walk down the hall and I look to see Gwen and Rebekah in their dresses. Rebekah had been right; Gwen's dress was too her. It brought out the color in her dark eyes and lightened her skin tone. "Care to join us," Rebekah asks me.

I smile and shake my head, "thank you, but no. Not yet."

"Waiting for Damon," Gwen asks.

I nod, "yes."

"You're lucky you two have dates," Gwen says to me and Rebekah.

"You have a date," I ask Rebekah.

She nods and smiles, "Matt Donovan."

"Matt," I ask, "really?"

"Yeah," she answers, "I like him. He's got spunk."

"That's something I never want to hear you say again," Gwen says as she tugs her sister down the staircase. I watch them join the crowd of people. I admire the Mikaelson's ability to blend with other people. They always seemed to fit right in.

"You never were the type to walk around a ball alone," Elijah says, joining me. He is wearing a tux, like his brothers.

I sigh, "Don't want people to get the wrong idea about me."

He laughs, "Now that is very hard to do. You always make an impression."

"Is it good or bad," I ask.

"Depends on who you ask," Elijah says.

"Why have you two not joined the ball yet," Esther asks, approaching us. She's wearing a black, one-shoulder dress. Her hair seems to bob just above the neckline, making her head seem small.

"You know me Mother," Elijah says, "talking with people has never been in my best interest."

She smiles, "Elijah, you shouldn't be coped up here, nor should you Cordelia."

"I'm waiting for Damon," I say to her.

"He is coming, correct," Esther asks, "I would very much like to meet him."

I smile, "he is coming, he's just late, just like Elena and Stefan are."

"They will come," Esther says as she turns back down the hall.