The Vampire Hunter

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of a cardinal chirping. The morning was unusually warm, the sunlight pouring in Rebekah's room. Rebekah had never returned to her room last night. I guess that she decided to sleep somewhere else, but I honestly don't know. I put on some jeans and a dull pink sweater and walk down the stairs. From the silence of a single beating heart, I know that Esther isn't here. When I walk into the dining room, I find Elijah, Kol, and Finn sitting at the table.

"Morning," Kol says. There's an empty seat next to him, but I avoid it.

I sigh, "Morning." I see that Klaus, Rebekah, and Gwen are absent, but it doesn't surprise me.

"My mother was looking for you before she left this morning," Elijah says, "any idea why?"

I shake my head, "No." I meet Finn's eyes briefly before I look down at the table. Someone had taken the liberty to make strawberry pancakes and bacon. I sit down in the chair next to Elijah and stare at the food. I remember that I can't eat regular food, not since I became a hybrid. I'm about to get up and walk over to the kitchen when Elijah's phone rings. He sighs and takes it out of his pocket. He stares at it, hesitating. "Who is it," I ask.

"No one you want to talk to," Elijah says, getting up from the table to answer it. I attune my ears and listen. "What do you want," Elijah asks, answering it.

"Elijah, let me explain," Damon says on the other line.

"I have no intention to listen to what you have to say and I'm sure Cordelia doesn't either," Elijah answers.

"I screwed up Elijah, ok," Damon asks, "I made a mistake and now Cecily's paying the price."

"You destroyed her," Elijah says sternly, "you have no right to make demands from her. She owes you nothing."

"You're right she doesn't, but I owe her an apology," Damon says.

"I doubt she'd want to hear it," Elijah answers.

"Please Elijah," Damon pleads, "Just let me talk to her." I get up from the table and go to Elijah. He sighs before he hands me the phone.

"I'm here for your apology and your apology only," I say into the speaker.

Damon sighs, "I'm sorry Cordelia. I didn't mean to hurt you. I screwed up and now you're suffering."

"Did you ever love me," I ask him.

"What kind of question is that," he asks.

"One that you don't get to question," I snap, "just answer it."

He sighs, "I did before I met Katherine."

"So what, you used me," I ask, my voice rising, "is that all I ever was to you? Someone you could use because you couldn't get what you really wanted?"

"No of course not," Damon says, "I did love you."

"You just contradicted yourself," I yell.

He sighs, "at least listen to what I have to say about Esther."

I stop myself, "what do you know?"

"Elena told us what she's planning to do," Damon says, "she doesn't believe that killing Elijah is right, even though it gets rid of Klaus."

"I don't care about what Elena has to say, Damon," I say to him.

"She's gonna try to stop Esther and you," Damon says, "She's on her way to the house right now."

"She's what," I demand.

"She left here after Stefan and I told her to stay out of it," Damon says.