Chapter 6: Council of Elrond

Nestarel, Legolas and their followers from Mirkwood arrived at the place of council. Everyone had gathered there. She saw Frodo sitting near his uncle, Bilbo and smiled warmly at him which he replied. They sat at their seats and Nestarel's hand went to her chest unconsciously. She was feeling a little bit dizzy. As they had gotten closer to the place of meeting, the pain in her chest had been increased. "It's because of the Ring." she heard Elrond's voice in her mind. She raised her head and met his intense eyes. "It's dark and malic power empowers the spell."

Nestarel nodded intangibly so Legolas didn't understand. The council began soon and they heard many stories about the past to the last alliance and the story of the Ring. When Gandalf's story finished Elrond stood up. "Strangers from distant lands, friends of old," he said a loud. "You've been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom." He then turned to Frodo who had sat near Gandalf. "Bring forth the ring, Frodo."

Frodo stood hesitantly and went to a stone pedestal and put the Ring on the center of it. Everyone gasped. "it is true." Nestarel Heard Boromir, the man from Gondor. She didn't like the way he was looking at the Ring. She noticed that she is massaging her scare. It was aching. She felt Legolas's hand on hers, raised her head and met his worried eyes. She smiled at him reassuringly.

Suddenly Boromir stood and attracted everyone's attention. "The ring of power. The doom of men." He said. "In a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark. but in the West, a pale light lingered. Voice was crying: 'Your doom is near at hand. Isildur's bane is found.' Isildur's bane." He almost whispered the last part in some sort of trance and walked to the Ring dangerously.

"Boromir!" yelled Gandalf and Elrond in union and Gandalf stood as well. "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum - ishi krimpatul." Said Gandalf in Mordor tongue. It was like he became taller. A shadow fell on the sun and Nestarel shut her eyes tightly in pain and gasped for air. It was like she was stabbed in the chest once more. Her body became cold like ice. But suddenly, she felt a warm flow of energy on her shoulder. The pain subsided and the shadow passed and the sound of birds and waterfalls could be heard again. She felt a hand on her shoulder and saw Elrond standing in front of her. All of the Elves were looking at her worriedly for she was dear for all of them. "Nestarel!" said Legolas with concern who was squeezing her hand. "I'm fine." she said while panting hard. Her whole body was shaking.

"Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris." said Elrond angrily to Gandalf.

"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond" said Gandalf and glanced at Nestarel worriedly. "for the black speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West! The ring is altogether evil."

"It is a gift." Said Boromir and stood again. "A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him." He cried aloud to everyone.

"You cannot wield it. None of us can." said Aragorn. "The One Ring answers to Sauron alone.It has no other master."

"And what would a ranger know of this matter?" asked Boromir bitterly.

Bilbo stirred impatiently. Evidently, he was annoyed on his friend's behalf. Standing suddenly up he burst out:

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.