Chapter 22: To Helms deep

Nestarel had stood on the edge of a stone platform in front of the golden halls, looking at the southeast. They have returned from the king's son's funeral. To the men who were watching, she looked beyond beautiful, standing there in her gray cloak while her golden hair was moving with the soft wind. Her flawless face held the ancient power of the Eleves and her blue mesmerizing eyes could enchant every living soul. She had stood there tall and mighty and looked like a dream under the light of the sun. But they were unaware of the pain and sorrow in the depth of her heart.

Nestarel's gaze was focused on the southeast. Her hand messaging her aching chest unknowingly. She felt a presence behind her and didn't need to turn to know who it was. Their scent giving them away.

"His darkness is spreading from his lair." she whispered and Legolas snaked an arm around her waist and pulled her to his chest. "Gaining power with every passing second, enjoying our misery. I can't believe we let Frodo and Sam go towards the utter danger alone."

Legolas kissed her temple softly. "We couldn't go with them, Nesta." he said. "We could have been a much greater danger for them."

"I know." replied Nestarel desperately and turned in Legolas' arms to face him, her eyes glossy with unshed tears. "But they were so small and defenseless.

Legolas' heart clenched at the sight of his lovely wife. He bent and softly kissed her forehead, keeping his lips there for a few seconds. "They are strong." he answered softly. "Smallest people can do things that the most big and tough men wonder of. Gandalf trusted them. Let's us do too."

Nestarel sighed deeply but nodded and leaned her head on Legolas' shoulder, enjoying the warmth and peace that he was offering. Legolas tightened his hold on her and frowned. She obviously had become thinner and lighter. "Your scar," he said, and Nestarel pulled away slightly and looked at his worried eyes. "It has become more painful, isn't it?"

"Yes" sighed Nestarel and looked away. Legolas exhaled deeply and looked around for a few seconds trying to calm down himself before glancing at his wife again. She had closed her beautiful eyes and looked paler. That was what Elrond had been warned of. She would become weaker as Sauron's power grow because as he became stronger so would the Nazgul and the witch king of Angmar. He should have forced her to stay in Lorien where she would feel the evil effect less, but he had selfishly and foolishly let her come by. 

He felt a delicate hand cupped his cheek and looked down at Nestarel's kind eyes that were staring at him lovingly. She smiled. "Don't let the negative thoughts disturb you, my love." she said softly. Her melodic voice caressed his ears and he leaned onto her touch for a moment before grabbing her hand and planting a kiss on her palm. "Come. Let's go inside. You should eat and then we will find a place where you can rest a bit." He pecked her lips and then took her hand and guided her towards the hall.

Once inside of the crowded hall, they spotted Aragorn and Gimli in a corner talking with Eomer who had been locked in the dungeons by the orders of Grima, and now he was released by the orders of the king. Legolas and Nestarel opened their way toward them. 

"Ah finally, the two mighty pointy ears decided to grace us with their presence," grunted Gimli when he saw them. Eomer bowed his head politely.

Nestarel chuckled and bent down and softly kissed Gimli's head. Just as she straightened Eowyn rushed towards them. She bowed to them. "Please forgive me." she said. "You were our guests but we have not treated you as one."

"Do not bother yourself, my lady." said Aragorn. "We have not come here to rest. We are here to help you in war."

Eowyn smiled warmly at him. "Yet you need rest and food to have all your strength." she said and then eyed Legolas and Nestarel and blushed a bit. "We never had any of fair people in our lands. Can you talk in common tounge?" she asked nervously.