Chapter 20: Light of hope

"Come. May we find signs of our friends there." Said Aragorn and helped Gimli to mount Hasufel. Legolas took off Arod's saddles and reins and then put his hands on Nestarel's waist and easily hauled her up and helped her sit upon the steed. "Are you alright?" he asked worriedly and squeezed her hand.

Nestarel looked down and nodded. "I am. Let's go." She said. Legolas jumped behind her and snaked an arm around her slim waist and brought her to his chest and let her lean her tired body to his.

They ride to the direction of the trails and soon they came to the eaves of the forest, and in an open glade among the first trees, they found the place of the great burning: the ashes were still hot and smoking. 

They unmounted and began to search among the ashes. Suddenly Gimli found something between the bodies. It was one of the daggers that Lady Galadriel gave Merry and Pippin. "It's one of their wee daggers. We failed them." He said sadly. 

Nestarel took the dagger. It was covered by ash and dust but had remained intact. Tears ran on her face again and pressed the blade to her heart. Legolas came to her side and put his hand on her shoulder. she buried her face in his shoulder.

Aragorn shouted from frustration and fell to his knees. Then, he saw something on the ground. He touched the ground and a bitter smile came to his face. "A Hobbit lay here." He said and touched a place near it. "And the other."

The others went to his side. Aragorn continued to read and parse the tracks. He went a little bit further. "They crawled. Their hands were bound." He said and stood on his feet and followed the traces with interest. He then found an Orc blade on the ground. Aragorn bent and picked up a piece of rope. "Their bonds were cut." He said with rising hope. "They ran over here." Said Aragorn and quickened his pace. The others ran after him. "They were followed. Tracks lead away from the battle..." he raised his head and halted. His face dropped. "into Fangorn Forest." He said quietly.

"Fangorn? What madness drove them in there?" said Gimli.

The four stood there and looked at the menacing trees. "Come." said Nestarel, her heart was hammering in her chest. "They are in the forest. They can be still alive. We must find them."

She took Legolas's hand and went into the forest. They walked deeper into the forest. Everything seemed old there. Trees were covered with lichen and old leaves, but they were whispering to each other. It seemed they were happy to see an elf there. Nestarel could feel their spirits, old and sleepy with good wills and full of anger about something. But she could feel malice, ill and evil spirits from deep in the forest. She shivered.

"This forest is not bad, or the bad things are deep in the forest, not here. It somehow feels strange in here." whispered Legolas, but even his quiet voice sound so loud in the eerie silence of the forest. Legolas was watching the trees with awe. "This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory, and anger." he said. 

The sound of the trees grew louder slowly. it was threatening. Something had made them more angry. "The trees are speaking to each other." said Legolas and all of them turned and saw Gimli who was clenching his ready ax and watching the trees with fear and disgust. 

"Gimli!" Called Aragorn. "Lower your axe." He gestured with his hand. Gimli did it and the voices subsided.

Nestarel looked around her with sadness. "They have seen too many damages from axes. They are angry and frightened." She said sadly.

"They have feelings, my friend. The Elves began it. Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak." Said Legolas to Gimli.

"Talking trees." Scoffed Gimli. "What do trees have to talk about? Except for the consistency of squirrel droppings."