Chapter 23: Battle of Hornburg

The sun was already westering on the next day as they finally rode from Edoras, and the light of it was in their eyes, turning all the rolling fields of Rohan to a golden haze. Nestarel had sat upon a chestnut horse with a dark brown mane. The horse was so happy to have an Elf ride him. Legolas had sat upon a white horse with Gimli and Aragorn was riding beside them upon a black one.

There was a beaten way, north-westward along the foot-hills of the WhiteMountains, and this they followed, up and down in a green country, crossing small swift streams by many fords. Far ahead and to their right the Misty Mountains loomed; ever darker and taller they grew as the miles went by. The sun went slowly down before them. Evening came behind. 

Soon they camped for the night. The journey was slow because of women, children, and old people. They set on the road again before dawn. They had let the children and sick people ride their horses so they can walk with more speed. It was an hour before noon that the howlings began.

"Wargs!" growled Legolas and glanced at his wife who was walking by his side and now looked so pale. 

Nestarel shivered at hearing the sound which brought dreadful memories with itself. Her heartbeat quickened and her breath hitched. A warm and big hand engulfed her small and delicate one and her breathing become more normal. She looked up at Legolas' worried face and nodded her head. 

"You fine, lassie?" asked Gimli concerned.

Nestarel forced a smile while looking down at him and nodding.

"This means the Orcs are near." said Eomer who was with them. "We should walk faster and reach Helms deep as soon as possible." he said and then walked away to give orders.

"This is not normal." said Aragorn and looked around suspiciously. His body was tensed and his hand was on the hilt of his sword. "Why are they not attacking?"

"Maybe they are not so much." offered Gimli.

"That's not the reason." answered Legolas and shook his head. "We all know that the orcs act on impulse. They don't think of anything other than killing as soon as possible, even in small packs."

"So maybe they have a plan and we are being watched." Nestarel's weak voice brought their attention to her. She was still pale but not shivering anymore. Her jaw set and her face as hard as stone. "They are not mindless orcs of Moria. They are Uruk-hai and they are working under the commands of Saruman. They surely know our destination thanks to Grima and they know we can be defeated much easier in open fields. But this is not what Saruman wants."

"So what is his plan?" asked Gimli.

"These are only heralds of a bigger army." said Legolas and Nestarel nodded. 

"He wants to plant fear in our hearts and make us weak." added Aragorn.

"Saruman wants to show off his power. He foolishly wants to mimic Barad-Dur. He wants to show that he can massacre the people of Rohan in their stronghold in Helms deep. By planting fear, it will be easier to bring them down. He wants to show his power while sitting in his tower and watch the slaughter of people of Rohan."

"We will stand until Gandalf arrives." said Aragorn through gritted teeth and stride forward.

"Let's have hope in Gandalf." said Nestarel as they followed Aragorn.

The howling resumed but no attack happened. The children and women were scared and the horses were uneasy. As Nestarel said, a few riders who have gone to watch around had come back all talking about a great army coming towards the deep. They said that their torches has created a jungle of fire on the lower plains, coming.