Chapter 25

The next day at Wellston, Arlo stood on the roof and watched everyone continue on with their business. He found himself lost in thought.

"Well Rei...it looks like I couldn't keep my promise." Before Rei left, Arlo promised him he'd stay King during his entire term. He only sighed before he heard the door open behind him, and saw Elaine.

"Here you are, Arlo. I've been looking for you."

"What's up?"

"John wanted me to get you. He s-said he wanted to talk to the Royals..." Elaine pokes her fingers together and looked at Arlo, who was surprisingly unreadable.

"Where?"

John sat down in a classroom with Remi and Seraphina.

"Sooo what's this about?" Remi asked, taking a seat next to Sera.

"Yeah. This is pretty sudden. Something wrong John?"

"Nah. I just want to talk about something." Sera looked at him.

"Its very rare that I'm unable to read him...something must be wrong." Just then, Arlo and Elaine walked in, catching everyone's attention.

"About time, Arlo." John said his name with hidden venom behind the words, and the only one who really caught it was Sera, which only confirmed her thoughts that something was wrong.

"What do you want?" Arlo replied back, trying not to lose his cool.

"I've been thinking about it. This hierarchy...it needs to go." To say everyone was shocked was an understatement.

"What do you mean it 'needs to go'?" Sera asked, confused.

"You mean like what Rei did?" Remi asked cheerfully.

"No." Arlo said simply.

"It'll cause too much confusion within the hierarchy."

"That's no longer for you to decide." John said, and Arlo bit his lip in frustration.

"You mean to tell me that you're going to get rid of everything that I worked so hard to set? I won't allow it." At that, John stood up and walked towards him.

"W-Wait John!" Sera said, but he didn't listen.

"That's real funny coming from you. For two years I removed myself from your hierarchy. For two years I stayed out of your way, but you CRUSHED EVERYTHING I HAD BUILT UP!" John punched him, and Sera got up and grabbed him.

"Hey! Calm down!"

"Let go of me!" John yelled, surprising everyone, including himself. Sera slowly let go, and John looked at her in surprise before he looked down, his hair shadowing his eyes.

"Sorry...I didn't mean to yell..." Arlo stood back up slowly, rubbing his already bruising cheek.

"Are you okay?" Elaine asked, and he only nodded. Elaine knew he was lying. He'd never seen Arlo look so...dejected. Arlo glared at John, who didn't seem to notice.

Nobody really knew what to say now. Elaine finally spoke up however.

"S-so what's happening with the school...?" John sighed and stood up.

"I want the higher tiers to help the lower tiers grow. Help them. If I catch wind of them being bullied or beaten without good reason, I'll be getting involved personally. Got it?" Everyone in the room nodded, although in Arlo's case it was more hesitant. John's attention snapped up suddenly.

"What's up?"

"Someone's listening in." John pointed to the door. Arlo walked over quickly and when he opened it, he didn't see anyone. However, he could hear someone slowly backing up, so he put up his barrier.

"Invisibility...?" Arlo closed his hand, as his barrier shrunk, and a voice screamed out.

"N-no! Don't!" The boy deactivated his ability, suddenly reappearing, and John recognized him as the boy he saved.

"So, what brings you here?"

"I-I was ordered to! I swear!"

"By who?" John jumped in, clearly not happy.

"C-Cecile! I don't know why!" Arlo dropped the barrier and glared at him.

"So she's snooping. I'm not surprised." Arlo was about to tell him to get lost before John stepped in.

"You're the kid that was following me and Sera. Were you snooping then?"

"Wait...John was able to tell that someone was following us...I guess that makes sense now." Sera thought to herself, before she focused back on the conversation.

"Tell Cecile if she decides to snoop on us again, I'll be coming after her personally." John threatened, sending him off.

"Arlo. I want you to figure out who he is and report back to me. This meeting is over." Everyone nodded and left, except Seraphina and Arlo. Arlo just walked off, but Sera stayed.

"John, you've been acting really different lately. What's wrong?"

"It's nothing...I just need to clear my head."

"What did you mean by everything you've built up? Talk to me. What happened to the old John?" John thought for a second. The goofy personality, the carefree attitude, and most importantly, the hair gel. That's all...

"Gone."