Chapter 10

In the morning, Doc and Keene sat in the infirmary. Doc was taking a sip of his coffee when he noticed Keene just staring at him.

"The hell, Keene? Stop staring at me like that!"

"Wooaaah-kay. Someone's a little grumpy today. What's the matter. Your date go badly? Did Leilah dump you? You drank too much and said something embarrassing?" Doc didn't reply, to the annoyance of Keene.

"Come on, man! Talk to me!"

"There was no date. She cancelled on me." This caught Keene's attention.

"Oh, that's not so bad. Surely she had a good reason. No need to be so bitter."

"I'm not. You just decided that on your own."

"Ah, it's kinda hard to tell because you always look so gloomy."

"She got a call from her employer. They're sending her away for two weeks. It sounded urgent."

"Pretty short notice for a two week trip."

"Yeah, that's what she said too. Hope everything works out."

Elaine was walking in the hallway until she noticed Arlo walking towards her. She quickly turned to the side and tried to walk away.

"Elaine."

"EEK!" She screamed, as Arlo stopped next to her.

"What's with the cold shoulder?"

"Sorry, I didn't see you there..." She was afraid, fear in her voice.

"Didn't see me? We clearly made eye contact. Is everything okay?"

"Uh...I just have some stuff on my mind. Anyway, uh...I'm off to lunch! So I'll talk to you later!" She quickly turned away and hoped Arlo would let her go, but when does she ever get what she wants?

Arlo grabbed her arm.

"You've heard about what happened, haven't you?"

"Uh..." Elaine tripped and screamed, but Arlo held her arm and kept her from falling.

"That was embarrassing..." She thought to herself. When she looked back up at Arlo, her eyes widened a little.

"Elaine. Shut up. Now, listen listen carefully."

She started shaking in fear as she was reminded of John.

"The one who injured you, Ventus, and Meili that day. It was John, wasn't it?"

"How do you know?"

"When Seraphina called me, she was already back and staying at his place. She wanted me to heal him. That's when I started piecing it together. But John...he saw through me and..." She started to shake.

"And what?" Arlo asked, gritting his teeth.

"The way he looked at me...his glare...it was so malicious. I just...I was afraid for my life. I don't know how to describe it, but there was something terrifying about him. Whatever is going on between you two...I really just don't wanna get involved. I'm not strong like you. I can't defend myself. I don't know what to do."

"Don't worry." Arlo said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"So long as we don't make him mad, he'll leave us alone."

"Err...is that what you're doing, Arlo? You're afraid of him too?" Arlo stepped back a little.

"Afraid...?" He quickly turned away, confirming Elaine's thoughts. Arlo noticed someone running away, and he ran towards the footsteps. By the time he got there, they were already gone.

Sera crossed her arms.

"Well, that's pretty much everything. Now all I've gotta do is wait." She reaches into her pocket and pulls out her phone.

"Another two hours to kill...guess I'll go for a walk." Sera went on a walk to Woaba Boba. She left the store and walked away, not noticing a blonde woman following her.