Chapter 13

John couldn't believe his eyes. Claire. Why was she here? Before he said anything, he noticed Sera.

"Sera!" He bent down and picked her up while Claire continued to clean the wound. He held her while thinking to himself.

"She's bleeding...how is that possible?" His eyes drifted over to Claire.

"She couldn't have done this. So who did? Damn it...!" He picked up her phone and called Elaine.

Elaine was sitting in her bed, doing homework when her phone started to ring. She saw it was from Seraphina and answered almost immediately.

"Hey Seraphina! Are you all packed up?"

"Elaine!" Her eyes opened wide. John.

"Quick, you need to come over right away! Sera's—" He heard a click. He looked at the phone shaking a little.

"She hung up on me...you b*itch!" He kept calling her, but when she didn't answer he gave up on it.

"DAMN IT, ELAINE! JUST WAIT TILL I GET MY HANDS ON YOU!"

"Call someone else, quickly!" Claire yelled, interrupting his thoughts. He nodded and scrolled through her contacts until he came across Arlo.

Arlo was walking out of the school when he heard his phone go off. He pulled it out and was surprised to see Seraphina calling him.

"Seraphina? What is it?"

"Arlo. Grab Elaine and come to my place. Now." He was unusually serious.

"Why? What happened?"

"JUST DO IT!" He yelled and hung up. Arlo stood there for a minute before sighing and went to find Elaine.

While they were waiting, John decided to break the silence.

"What are you doing here?" He asked her, catching her off guard.

"My parents moved here. Why are you here?" John didn't answer immediately.

"I came here to start new. I didn't flash my ability. I didn't hurt anyone. Yet, everything happened again." He looked down, and Claire thought back to the day she gathered her class to take him down.

"You mean...they turned on you again? Are you that horrible?"

"No." He sighed.

"I enrolled as a cripple. I didn't want to hurt anyone. I didn't want a repeat. Yet somehow...I still became King." Claire looked at him. She saw the broken look on his face.

"Claire? I'm sorry." Her eyes widened. The man who beat anyone that looked at him wrong, just apologized to her. And she could see he meant it.

"It's...it's fine. It's in the past and I can tell you're not that person anymore."

After a few minutes, Elaine and Arlo finally arrived. Elaine looked at Sera with her eyes practically bugging out of her face. It took Arlo a few seconds to register what he was seeing.

"Wait a sec...isn't that Seraphina? How is she in that state?" Elaine moved forward, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"Seraphina! Wake up! How did you end up like this?" She didn't respond, and Elaine activated her ability.

"But she's undefeatable! Who could've done this to her?" She then looked at John, and got a dark look on her face.

"J-John you creep...!" John looked at her, giving her an equally dark look.

"W-what the heck did you do?! How DARE you hurt her?! What did she do to deserve this?!" Claire saw the look in John's eyes, but before she could do anything he had already moved. He slapped Elaine.

"WILL YOU SHUT THE F*CK UP!" Arlo blinked in surprise. He didn't expect John to do something like that. Claire stood up and grabbed his wrist.

"Stop!" He looked at her, imagining New Bostin. He closed his eyes, and sat back down.

"That was no normal reaction. I wouldn't have hit her. She must have touched on a sore spot." Arlo thought to himself.

Elaine was healing Sera while everyone sat idly by and watched.

"Strange. How did she get hurt in the first place? Someone overpowered her? No, that's ridiculous. Did someone jump her? No, that can't be. She's too fast. Maybe she was tricked. But even if that were the case, she still has her kit to back her up. So how...? The only explanation I can think of...she didn't use her ability."

"O-okay, all done. Most of the damage was from the stab wound. She should be fine now."

"Then why hasn't she woken up yet?"

"It's strange. She's...she's perfectly healthy, yet something is off." Elaine was shaking now. The way John looked at her scared her.

"NO SH*T! Anyone could've figured that out! What exactly?! Be specific!" Elaine was slowly backing away. Claire had her eyes shut with her ability activated. Arlo was the only one to notice but didn't say anything. He was curious as to who this girl was and why she was here and knew John.

"I-I DON'T KNOW! That's beyond my power!"

"John!" Claire called, making him turn around.

"Whatever happened to her is serious. From what I can "see", this girl is falling down the ladder."

"The ladder?" John asked, and Arlo opened his eyes wide.

"They stole her ability."

(I'm really sorry if this Claire is bad I'm trying 😂 I didn't know how to use her here but now I've got a clear path and what it is I want for her. Thank you everyone who continues to read this though. Have a good day!)