Chapter 14

John only sighed. He knew that it would mean trouble for her in the future. He bent down, using Elaine's ability and put his hand above her head.

"What's he doing?" Elaine thought. She had already healed the stab wound.

"Scanning for other injuries?" Arlo thought. After a few seconds, John noticed another wound.

"Hm? He found something?" Arlo and Claire thought to themselves.

John turned Sera's head and revealed a needle mark in her neck.

Arlo, Claire, and Elaine were surprised.

"What? Even I couldn't detect that cut." Elaine thought, amazed.

"Leave it to John to use the ability better than the original user. I guess Mr. Doe was right. He's changing for the better." Claire thought, staring at Sera.

"What did you do to him that I couldn't? I could've prevented New Bostin, yet here you were controlling him the entire time."

"What the hell is this?!" John cut everyone out of their thoughts.

"A needle." John looked at Arlo with a glare that made him nervous.

"Maybe she was drugged. That's why she's not waking up. But how did they manage to catch her?" John only stared at her defeated form. He imagined Claire after his rampage at New Bostin, quickly casting that aside, and healed the wound.

"I don't care about that. All I want to know is who did this to her." Once the wound was healed, he picked her up, and walked away, taking her to his bedroom.

Elaine watched them walk away, and stood up from her spot.

"Erm. Hey-!" She reached out, only to have Claire stop her.

"Don't. Let him be."

John sat in front of his bed where Sera lies asleep. He clenched his fists until they bled as he looked at her now peaceful face.

"I'll find the one who did this!"

Arlo sat on John's couch, finally having some time to think.

"In the three years I've known Seraphina, she's never needed any sort of medical attention. Yet, my first time seeing her after her suspension...she's completely unconscious? It's unsettling, to say the least. The one responsible was somehow able to outspeed her reflexes and override her Rewind. Someone that powerful roaming around the city could be a huge threat." He closed his eyes, breathing in and out.

"What's this person's motive? Of all people, why target Seraphina? Will he be back for her?"

"Arlo?" Elaine called, making him look up.

"I brought you some water." She smiles and held the cup to him, only for him to deny it.

"No thanks. I'm not thirsty."

"Did you really just go into someone's kitchen without permission?" Claire said from behind her, startling her. She laughed, as Elaine flustered in embarrassment. Arlo only closed his eyes.

"Relax, I'm kidding. I know how stressful this situation is." Elaine sat down next to Arlo with a little space in between them so she wasn't directly next to him.

"Erm...Arlo?" Elaine said, catching his attention.

"Is everything okay?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"It just...seems like you've been out of it lately. You're always assertive, but recently, uhm...whenever John is involved, you always seem to back away and become passive. It's really unlike you." Arlo showed visible surprise. Was it really that obvious?

"What happened between the two of you that day? Is he that much stronger than you? Does that make you Jack now? Is that...why you listen to what he says?" Arlo glared at her, making her shake. She didn't, no, she couldn't feel as much fear as she could towards John.

"John whipped his ass." Claire spoke up, making Arlo turn his glare to her.

"What do you know about it?"

"A few years ago, John was a student in New Bostin. That was when I was Queen. However, when I met him he was just a cripple. He had no power, and I watched as the bullying happened, watching his heart fill with hate. I decided to help him out one day, and before we know it, his ability had activated. When that happened, it was...awful." Claire said, closing her eyes thinking back to his fights.

"He was selfish, cold, aggressive, yet more powerful than anyone else. A monster that I had hoped I could control. Then "that day" came." Arlo and Elaine gave questioning gazes.

"What happened?" Arlo asked. Claire bit her lip and sighed.

"I thought there was nothing I could do anymore. He had to go. So I rallied up a bunch of people. Anyone and everyone I knew, and I set to dethrone him. However, we lost. Imagine your entire year fighting one man, and losing." She looked Arlo in the eyes, as his widened in fear and shock. Little did they know John was standing outside of his room now, perfectly able to hear them.

"I should've never did what I did. If I didn't rally up the people, things might have been different." She stared at the ground. Nobody spoke. John closed his eyes and walked back into the room.

Before they knew it, it was 1:43 in the morning. John was sleeping in a chair resting on the bed, Elaine, Arlo, and Claire sleeping on the couch. Little did they know, a van was pulling up to John's house.