Because You Never Know Where You'll Find a Magic Portal

She honestly hadn't meant to laugh at him, and certainly not so loudly. Beyond being a foolish thing to do in front of an animal that may interpret her sudden outburst as a threat, it just wasn't very nice to Dru. But she couldn't help herself. The very idea of Dru being dangerous was completely absurd.

Dru, who had looked rather angry for a brief moment, soon joined her in laughter. "I'm glad that you understood I was teasing," he said between chuckles. "I don't know what I would have done if you had actually believed me and ran off, leaving me with that," he pointed to the Kidego.

"What do you mean?" she asked in response. "We both know you could easily chase me down with your super demon speed."

Dru shrugged slightly, looking noncommittal in his agreement.

"And while we are on the subject of running off," she continued, "I think it's about time we get back to the others, don't you?"

Suddenly looking very embarrassed, Dru started raking his fingers through his long white hair, while stumbling over his words. "Um, yes, well, while that is an excellent idea in theory, I'm sorry to say that, at the moment, it is a bit...impossible."

One of Myra's eyebrows rose slightly. "You mean we're lost."

"Completely."

The sun had now set, allowing temperatures to drop even further. Myra found herself practically hugging the Kidego for warmth, and Dru looked like he was doing a funny sort of dance as he hopped around while rubbing his arms.

Whether it noticed their discomfort, or just decided it was time to leave, the Kidego moved out of Myra's grasp and slowly started to make its way to the back of the cave. Just before moving out of sight, the animal turned back and looked at them, as if inviting them to follow.

⌘⌘⌘

"Please remind me again, exactly how I ended up in this situation?" Dru asked from his reclined position in the huge pile of Kidego fur. He let out a small "oof" when a small Kidego jumped onto his chest.

Lying down beside him, Myra gave a sly smile as she pet the infant Kidego in her arms. "Because you can't say 'no' to me, and deep down inside you think that baby Kidegos are the most adorable things in existence."

"Not why, darling. How."

She cocked her head and looked up to the right. "Oh, well I think it probably all started when you chose to follow me into those ice tunnels. Then you saved me from a frozen death. Then we ..."

"Forget I asked."

Myra was confused. Ever since the Kidego kicked him, Dru's attitude seemed different. He was growing more and more short tempered, cranky, and acting very (for lack of a better word) Sam-ish. Did he hit his head when he hit the cave wall? That could have something to do with it. Or maybe he just needs some cheering up.

"Hey Dru, you wanna play a game or someth—" she stopped abruptly. Oh no, I shouldn't have said that. He could so easily turn my innocent offer into something perverted. And knowing Dru, he will.

As if on cue, Dru smiled slightly. "Thanks for the offer darling," he said in a quiet, calm voice. Then he rubbed the back of his head and added, "Unfortunately I am not feeling very well tonight. But I will make sure to take you up on your offer later." Saying this, he shoved the Kidego off of his chest and rolled over, facing away from her.

Definitely hit his head.

⌘⌘⌘

Myra awoke in a soft pile of Kidego fur. She was a bit cold, and subconsciously reached her hand out to pull Dru closer to her. But her hand only felt more fur and the slight indent where he had slept. Forcing her eyes open, she noticed that there was gentle morning light creeping in from the cave mouth.