Because Some People Just Attract Trouble

The path from the Elvin Village to the Tadema Pass gradually wove itself up the mountain side. As their altitude increased and the temperature dropped, the travelers were induced to periodically don on more and more of the winter clothing that Lilla had packed for them. When the clothing was removed from the bags, small packets of food were found neatly packed between them. Being as (when asked) none of them admitted to supplying the morsels, Myra was pleased to accept the fact that the people of Lilla's village were not as rude as they seemed (or at least one of them wasn't).

Meanwhile, they had been passing by small patches of snow and before they knew it, the snow was so deep that Sam suggested they all change their silver dowels into snow shoes. Myra and Meris exchanged sheepish looks and reluctantly admitted to Silversin that they had somehow lost their dowels the day before.

Silversin laughed a little. "You could have just used the retrieving spell I had on them," She said with a mocking smile.

Meris mirrored her smile. "Yes, that would have been the most logical thing to do. Unfortunately, you did not inform us of any such spell."

Her smile dropped a bit. "What are you talking about? Of course I told you about the spell."

"Not a word," Sam stated from his current position, which happened to be sitting casually on top of a struggling Dru who was face down in the snow. The fox demon was shouting muffled threats to Silversin for prolonging his separation from Myra the day before. Sam sighed and continued his statement in a monotonous manner "And I suggest you quickly tell us how to retrieve them before Dru gets carried away with his little tantrum and decides to actually follow through with his threats."

A slight, yet extremely evil smirk flashed across Silversin's face, and her hair turned a shade toward pink. "I'd like to see him try," she said in a challenging voice. Everyone immediately went silent. Dru stopped struggling and Meris and Lilla even took a step away from the volatile witch, pulling the clueless Myra with them. "But if he doesn't mind, I think we'll save that for a more appropriate time," she concluded as her hair turned back to its normal color.

"Anyway, here..." Saying Myra and Meris's names along with some other words that Myra didn't recognize, Silversin flicked her wrist and two silver dowels appeared in her hand.

Once she had her dowel back Myra found herself almost giddy with the idea that this was her first opportunity to actually try to make something out of it. She was surprised at how easy it turned out to be. Silversin first helped her split the dowel into two equal pieces. Then she gave Myra the pair of snowshoes that she had just made and told the girl to examine them thoroughly. After she finished doing so, the silver haired witch told her to close her eyes and study them again, but with her hands (while remembering what they looked like) and project that image to her own two dowel halves.

Myra did as she was told and was very pleased when she opened her eyes and found that her dowel halves had transformed into exact replicas of Silversin's snowshoes. Of course, that might have had to do with the fact that Silversin had also made Myra's pair.

No one, not even Sam (and especially not Silversin) had estimated the extent of Myra's ability to let her mind wander while she was supposed to be studying something. This error was fully realized however, during the time that Myra's eyes were closed. At first it looked like Myra was doing a fairly decent job. The two poles began to form into snow shoe shapes with sharp cleats at the toes. But then things started to go a bit off. The shoes grew what looked like fins and tails. In curiosity, Silversin approached the two figures that now looked very little like snow shoes and very much like small silver sharks, especially after the cleats formed into spiky teeth.