epilogue

one week later.

"So let me get this straight. You aren't—or, weren't—exactly human?"

Jeongin nodded, trying to focus his gaze on he floor rather than a very, confused Hyunjin sitting beside him on the couch. The poor boy had almost no recollection of his near drowning experience, or arriving at the hospital afterwards.

He just knew that he thought he saw Jeongin with a tail, and wanted to make sure he wasn't going crazy. Jeongin nearly wanted to brush it off, wanted to say it was all a hallucination. It would've made this part much easier.

But he couldn't hide that big of a secret from Hyunjin, especially since Hyunjin had basically said he knew.

"Huh." Hyunjin simply said, his tongue pressing against his cheek, as his face went blank while processing the information.

"This changes things, doesn't it?" Jeongin signed, gulping as Hyunjin sighed, before turning his head the other way.

"No." Hyunjin said as he turned back around.

"It doesn't change the fact that you saved my life. I mean, kinda sorta changes that, like how you saved my life, but, also, do you know what I'm trying to say? Because I don't." Hyunjin rambled, smiling a bit as Jeongin laughed to ease the tension running through the younger boy.

"It also doesn't change the fact that I still love you." He said as he looked at Jeongin seriously, his eyes holding the gaze with the other. Jeongin blushed a deep red, before punching Hyunjin's arm lightly.

"That's the truth though. You can blush and punch me all you want but at the end of the day, you saved me. In more ham one way. I still love you. Not much can change that."

"You mean that?"

"Yes, Jeongin, I do. Granted, I don't have the picture perfect perception of love. No one does. But right here, right now, I know you make me experience the closest thing to picture perfect love I can feel."

Jeongin felt his stomach twist and turn in good and bad ways, feeling warm and fuzzy but also kind of nauseous.

"I can safely say the same thing." Jeongin signed, his hands shaky and his grin wobbling in nerves.

A comfortable silence grew between them, the only sound being the wind and gentle rain outside.

"The guys will be over soon. I told you right?" Hyunjin asked, slightly scrunching his face in attempt to remember.

Jeongin nodded, turning his head towards the window to see the rain outside picking up, now sounding like tiny fists against the windows and sliding glass door in the kitchen.

"Any special movie requests Innie?"

Jeongin pondered the list of movies he enjoyed watching with Hyunjin, and his eyes lit up as he signed "Ponyo?"

Hyunjin giggled, his eyes thinning into crescent like shapes.

"I don't mind, but the guys will be all, 'Ponyo agaaaaiiiin? Come onnnnnn' " He said through laughs, standing up once he finished his chuckles.

"I'm gonna go make some popcorn, okay?" Hyunjin waited for Jeongin to nod, before he bent down to place a light kiss on Jeongin's forehead. He ruffled the red hair on Jeongin's head, before making his way into the kitchen.

Maybe things were supposed to go like this. Jeongin thought to himself.

But no matter what was or wasn't meant to happen, fate worked out in Jeongin's favor. He wondered what the group of five boys still with tails were doing right now. He owes them explanations just as much, if not more, than Hyunjin deserved one.

Although Hyunjin did say he wanted to meet them, after Jeongin's explanation it was almost inevitable that Hyunjin would find out about them.

So Jeongin and Hyunjin agreed to find some way to see them again. And the balance between Hyunjin and his friends from the water was the best thing Jeongin could ask for.

Originally he only wanted to see the land. But now he's getting the best of both worlds. His old home, and his new home.

And he couldn't be any happier.