chapter O9 :: a gift

7:32 AM, July 15th

---------------------------------------------

Jeongin awoke to an empty bed, and muffled conversation outside of the door. He couldn't hear who was involved, but he could tell that Hyunjin was on one end.

He sounded mad-no, angry.

Jeongin pouted as he ran his fingers over the chilly spot on the sheets beside him.

Since the night Jeongin had the terrible nightmare of the two of them drowning, he's had trouble sleeping. Until Hyunjin began sleeping beside him, that is. Hyunjin made a habit of ditching the makeshift bed on the floor for the real bed that he'd once given up for Jeongin's sake.

Admittedly, the first few nights were somewhat awkward. The two of them tried to avoid any contact, despite the fact that they've fallen asleep practically tangling and intertwining limbs and fingers. But once they got used to the new arrangement, it was fine. Often times the two of them would be asleep with their backs pressed against each other, rather than the closeness of facing each other. Jeongin found it odd to go backwards, from such close cuddling to sleeping facing away from each other. But he wasn't going to complain.

After a few minutes, the door creaked open to reveal a bitter Hyunjin entering the bedroom. In one hand was the outline of his cell phone, and the other hand held onto the door knob with so much pressure that his knuckles were turning white. For appearing so utterly infuriated, Hyunjin entered gently, as if his every movement was filled with cautious intent. When he saw Jeongin looking up at him from the bed, he froze momentarily. Then, every trace of anger or hostility fled from his face, immediately replaced by the happy Hyunjin that Jeongin was used to.

"Good morning Jeongin." The younger boy smiled and waved with a hint of drowsiness in his action. Hyunjin moved himself over to the bedside table near where Jeongin lay, and put his phone on it facing downwards. Hyunjin's eyes swept over Jeongin, who wasn't sure if he wanted to stay in place, or hide his bed head under the covers.

He chose the second option.

Jeongin snuck under the comforter in a snake-like fashion, quickly slithering away from Hyunjin's gaze. The latter giggled, before walking over playfully. He jumped onto the bed, landing on top of the hiding Jeongin.

"Are you hiding from me?" Hyunjin teased, before sitting himself squarely on top of the red headed boy beneath him.

"I asked you a question, Innie." Hyunjin spoke with mock warning, drawing out the vowels of Jeongin's nickname. Since the day Jeongin told him of this nickname, Hyunjin would occasionally let the term fall from his lips. Jeongin was worried that after he told him the nickname, the elder would press for details or ask who it was that called him this. But to his relief, he didn't. It felt somewhat odd and intrusive, to have Hyunjin know Jeongin's nickname that his best friends called him. But, Jeongin pushed those thoughts away and to the back of his brain, like he'd done so often now when he thought of his friends so far away.

Jeongin nodded vigorously as he pulled himself back to the current situation.

"Why are you hiding?" Hyunjin spoke, his voice similar to the one he'd used when he saw (and eventually pet and play with) a stray dog during a walk with Jeongin. Hyunjin pulled back the comforter, but was met with another layer between him and Jeongin.

The baby blue sheet covering Jeongin's head was such a light shade, that the red hue of Jeongin's hair peaked through it.

"Why. Are. You. Hiding. From. Me?" Hyunjin asked with an overwhelming amount of playfulness, as he ripped the baby blue sheet away from Jeongin's face. With each word he lightly pinched one of Jeongin's sides, causing the latter to release a giggle between each word Hyunjin said. On the final word, Hyunjin pinched both of his sides at once, to which Jeongin jerked violently. He grabbed Hyunjin's wrist, and a mischievous grin spread across his face.