「Chapter 4 - Out of the Ordinary」

everybody hates fire spirit lol

fire is a sad boi :(

-------

"I just kinda wanna live a life where not everybody despises me all the time, y'know? I want someone who supports me or someone I can trust. Someone who doesn't put me under pressure."

You...just...

"It's kinda hard living a life like this. But I guess I deserve it. I-I am the villain, afterall." his voice started trembling.

Then a sniff was heard.

Wind looked down at Fire, and found him with tears streaming down his face that dissipated as they reached his cheeks, most of them vanishing with a small sizzling sound.

Wind's face went from his emotionless expression to an expression of confusion. As far as he knew, no one has ever seen Fire Spirit cry. So why now? Why was he suddenly showing off his emotions? And to someone like Wind Archer?

Fire noticed Wind staring at him, and covered his eyes with his arm. Wind saw, observed, and evaluated.

A complete nuisance like Fire Spirit, someone who is cocky and overly sarcastic...can cry.

To see Fire Spirit with such emotion made him feel reassured. He always assumed Fire was always just a rambunctious nuisance that doesn't know how to show diverse emotions. But it turns out he was...mistaken.

Fire Spirit felt lonely.

--☆Fire☆--

Fire sat there, his tears still not ceasing. He'd never felt this way. Sure, he'd felt that ache in his chest whenever he'd felt sad, but he'd never...cried. He'd always seen cookie citizens cry only, or maybe he'd seen Sea cry before. However, he'd never considered himself crying before.

All he knew was that it sort of stung. Probably because it was water.

He felt ashamed. He didn't want to show off his emotions to someone like Wind Archer. He was supposed to be flirtatious and annoying! Not all full of the waterworks! It wasn't like he could help it.

He couldn't even help it around the one he fancied.

Is he looking? He's looking, isn't he?

Fire removed his arm from his face, the tears still falling, and found a very puzzled and concerned Wind Archer across from him. He instantly brought his knees to his chest, put his head on his knees, and covered his head with his arms. He tried to quietly sob into them.

Just fly away, Fire! He doesn't need your help anymore! Just...

As he continued to sob, he felt too weak to be able to do anything now. He even felt too weak to be able to fly.

Stupid. Now he'll think you're weak!

His own flames he was trying to hold up to previously warm up Wind were starting to extinguish. He didn't know how his body could create water, but he knew it was exhausting him.

He heard shuffling in front of him, a couple of steps coming up to him, then he heard nothing for a bit. He just proceeded to quietly sob into his own arms.

That is until he felt arms wrap around him.

Fire's legs parted, Wind sitting down in between them. Wind held Fire's head close to his shoulder, enabling him to stay in a position for him to relax in.

Fire flinched at the unexpected gesture, but he calmed down quickly. It didn't take long for him to recognize that even if it was Wind Archer doing this, he felt safer and more relaxed. Fire gripped onto him tighter, quietly sobbing into his shoulder.

"Shhh..." Wind hushed, "calm down..."

This was very strange to Fire. His encounters with strong feelings were often brief and would fade away quickly. But this...this was different.

He didn't know why here and now he was letting out his emotions, but he knew he wanted to. He's never the type of cookie to even think of getting sad. He's always noisy, energetic, flirty, and bothersome. Not in a million years would he think he'd be crying.

It was a first, however. To know that someone like Wind could feel compassion and could comfort others made him feel even safer. Why Wind had decided to even try comforting him, someone who's followed him around and teased him for god knows how long, was puzzling to him. He wasn't complaining, though. One of the things he'd needed most right now was a reassurance that not everybody hates him.

Wind began to rub circles on Fire's back, doing his best to calm him down.

These particular things that Wind was doing made Fire feel...affectionate towards him. More than he already does. He felt like he could stay like this forever. He wanted to. Wind probably didn't, but he wanted to.

Because of his thoughts, he started to calm down. His breathing started going back to a normal pace. He'd stopped sobbing. Only every now and then he'd hiccup. He closed his eyes, relaxing in Wind's hold.

Eventually, it went silent. A comfortable silence this time.

"Feel better now?" Wind asked, pulling away a bit.

Fire nodded. Normally, you'd expect him to reply vocally, only he didn't.

"Good." Wind responded, nodding his head, "Y'know, if you really feel that stressed regarding your personal issues, you can talk to one of us about it. If you behaved more calm about it and if you really wanted to talk, we would listen," Wind tilted his head to the side, and a smile curled onto his lips, "You can talk to me too, now that I understand."

Fire had never seen Wind smile. Shortly after he saw it, for reasons he didn't know, heat spread to his cheeks. He just stared at Wind for a bit, and without realizing it, his flames started to grow hotter again, glowing. Maybe even hotter than before.

Maybe to see Wind with such an expression was cute to the other cookie? He didn't bother trying to find out.

Then, the smile dulled away, "Hey, your flames are getting stronger again, Fire." he said.

Fire snapped out of it, "Oh, yeah, sorry..."

Then, there was silence again. The cold wind had gotten a little more powerful in the past few minutes, which allowed them to see the stars better considering some of the leaves were being blown out of the way.

The wind soon started getting stronger as more clouds filled the sky. The two of them had a harder time seeing constellations at this point, now squinting or moving around to try and look at them. Eventually, Wind gave up. Wind looked in front of himself at Fire. Fire continued to look up.

Then Wind felt something miniature and cold touch his arm. He didn't think much of it until he felt more. He looked up and discovered it was snowing through the leaves.

For some reason, Fire hadn't noticed. The snow obviously should've melted into water droplets, so shouldn't it hurt?

Apparently, it didn't. Fire seemed unfazed.

As more of the snowflakes hit Wind's skin, Wind started shivering. Fire's heat wasn't enough, and it couldn't beat this.

Wind started seeing his own breath in the cold air as the snow started getting stronger. Fire started to take notice that it was snowing and looked down at a shivering, breathless Wind Archer.

"Do you...want to go home?" Fire asked.

-------

mmmm i was lazy with the art i just copied and pasted to background

what's everyone's (current) favorite musical artist? i'm currently hooked on some artist called shibayanrecords. some of you should check them out.