Chapter 18: Get Your Head In The Game

30000+ reads? Kisses to everyone! Thanks! We just reached #72 in Humor and #101 in Teen Fiction! Yay! Happy dance!

CHAPTER 18: Get Your Head In The Game

Crowded.

That was one way to describe the gym today. The area was packed with people. Mostly girls. No surprise there since there's a practice game occurring right at this instant in preparation for the basketball championship. Dylan was their star. Of course. Girls hovered around him even when we're together. And since the news about our break-up spread out faster than Serene could do a split, which was really fast by the way, the entire female population went crazy.

Everyone was extra nice to me these days. I knew it was because of that.

The student council was invited here and honestly, I had no idea why. Yes, we're sponsoring the big game but it's the first time in the history of first times that the council was personally invited to watch them practice. I meant, what for? We couldn't possibly do anything to help them win, except to give the team funds.

Chase stood a few steps from me. I had this urge to run my hands through his hair but obviously, I couldn't. That would just start up rumors that would create another set of rumors that would definitely be followed by a series of another nasty rumors. It's an exhausting idea and I was getting tired just by thinking about it.

We're stealing glances at each other when nobody was looking. I wished we could just go out there and shout to the world we're together. But that also meant walking over Serene. It was another exhausting idea that I didn't like to entertain.

Dylan walked toward us and every part of my body screamed trouble!

"Hey guys," he greeted in a formal tone. Then he turned to me. "Hey, Sacred."

Rielle noticed my discomfort so she took over. "Hi Dylan! Uh, if you don't mind me asking I just want to know why we're called here."

"About that, the team would like to play against you," he said in a casual manner like it's a common thing to challenge the council in any kind of match.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I finally said. "Besides, we don't want to disturb your practice especially the championship is so near. You guys have to focus."

"It will just be a friendly match Sacred. Nothing to worry about. I'm thankful for your concern about the team's welfare," he said as he put his hand on my shoulder. Chase coughed noticeably and Dylan glared at him. "You have something to say Gray?"

"This friendly match is ridiculous. Why do you need to waste time with us when you should be practicing for real instead?" Chase asked and tension surrounded us.

"If you're too scared to play Gray, all you have to do is say it. Just so you know, the ladies hate coward guys. Sacred hates them either." Dylan replied, obviously trying to get a reaction from Chase. I could sense the imminent fight. Mentioning my name would only add fuel to the fire. What did Dylan want?

Chase's jaw clenched along with his fist. He was trying to control his emotions. He didn't want to give in to Dylan's cheap tactics. That, I could tell. But since Chase was just another guy with a little pride, I knew exactly where this conversation was heading.

"You're on Crawford," he said and I shot him a worried look. He didn't turn my way. Clearly, he was pissed off.

To make the situation even worse, Serene walked inside the gym and handed shirts to council guys. Okay, so she's part of this weird game. Not a surprise. She's cheer captain after all. She went to Chase's side and hugged him, burying her face on his chest.