Chapter 8: Into The Woods

#CHARED

CHAPTER 8: INTO THE WOODS 

I was perfectly aware that my mouth had been awkwardly opened for the past five minutes. Snickers could be heard from behind. Not because of my hideous reaction but due to Catherine’s strange and inappropriate outfit. She was wearing a sparkly sleeveless top, micro mini skirt, and sky-high heels.

“Uh didn’t you receive the memo today Cat?” I asked, my brows wrinkled. “Outdoor activities.”

“I know that Sacred. There’s nothing wrong with my getup. You’re just upset because for once in your life you are not the center of attention.” She smirked, crossing her arms. “News flash Sac, not everything is about you.”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Well, news flash Catherine, we’re going to climb a mountain.”

She uncrossed her arms and looked away, humiliated, then turned to me again.

“So?” She took a step toward me, head held high. I stood my ground, acting nonchalant. Rielle placed herself between us. She knew that our conversation could only end up in huge trouble. We couldn’t afford any of that now. Our reputation was at stake. Our school, Dawson High, had been the topic of everyone’s table from the moment we arrived.

“Good afternoon young leaders!” Mr. Sean greeted, his voice loud and clear through the speakers. He stood at the platform near the entrance of the hotel. Catherine glared at me before opening up an umbrella, covering her overexposed skin from the heat of the sun. I gritted my teeth in irritation.

“As you all know, we are going to have a fun activity today!” he announced. Fun? Anywhere near Catherine couldn’t possibly be fun. “And our first game will be, drum roll please…”

If he told us we were going to plant seeds, I would pack my bags in a heartbeat.

“Treasure Hunt!” What? Could this day be any more boring? What were we? Ten year olds? Contrary to my disappointed reaction, the other students seemed to be thrilled with his idea of a fun activity as they cheered and shouted.

“To make this even more interesting,” he continued. “…we want each school to divide themselves into three groups. Then all of you will climb the mountains or go to the forest separately and search for the items written on the papers that will be handed to you. As you complete each task, new clues will be given to you. The game will last for two days and the first group to find the treasure will be declared winners!”

I didn’t feel good about this. Something told me that today would require me so much energy. Not for the said game but for trying to stop a certain girl from stealing what was mine. I spun to my group and my theory was confirmed. Annoying Catherine was all over Chase again. I was glad I had eaten proper lunch. I needed all strength I could get to go through this day.

“I’m with Chase! Who’s with us?” she asked excitedly as she clutched his arm. I walked to them and opened my mouth to speak but someone interrupted.

“I’m in!” James said. No way!

“No James, I’m with them,” I demanded. All eyes turned to me. Chase had a surprised look on his handsome face.

“Sacred I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Rielle stated, holding my hand. “Let’s give the spot to James, okay?”

“No!” I said quickly. Maybe they’re thinking I was doing this because I wanted to bully Catherine. But that’s not the truth. I just couldn’t let her flirt with Chase for two days.