Chapter 23: Drifting Apart

Dedicated to @thatgothicscenegirl

Song recommendation: SPACES by 1D

CHAPTER 23: DRIFTING APART

My whole body was covered in glitters, sequins, colorful buttons and lace cutouts. The entire student council was forced to ditch lunch and probably on the way to have ulcers just to put up decorations in the activity area for the upcoming prom. The walls were painted silver and sparkly balls were hung from the ceiling.

We have less than a week to prepare and because the basketball championship game was also scheduled on the very same week, it was more difficult to finish the tasks at hand. Half of us needed to work out the details of the game and talk to the sponsors while at it, dividing the working force.

Needless to say, it was hell week for the rest of us.

I was itching to run away from all this mess to take a bath. Rielle, on the other hand, were barking orders to the boys on where to set up the tables and chairs which I personally thought didn't match the color of the curtains. Whatever.

A few people volunteered to help us decorate. Bless them for their kind hearts, I didn't know how we could wrap everything up without their help. Brenton, who obviously didn't volunteer, sat in front of me. He was complaining for the hundredth time and I was getting irritated so my hand accidentally bumped into the bottle of gold glitters, causing it to wobble until all the contents flew out and scattered all over his shirt.

"What the—" He stood up immediately, rubbing the glittery dusts off himself. "Are you kidding me? After helping you against my will, this is how you're gonna thank me?"

"You're not helping at all. You keep on complaining and it's annoying," I said as I taped a silver cutout to the cardboard that would be attached to the windows later. "More tape please."

He shook his head in despair and reached for the tape which he cut off using his teeth. He handed it to me and I sent him a disgusted look.

"We have a dispenser for a reason!"

"It's more convenient for me!"

"How is it convenient for you or for anyone? For the love of all things sanitary, stop spreading out your DNA! If I didn't need more people I wouldn't have dragged your useless butt here!" I yelled at him as I snatched the tape from his hand and put it back to where it belonged.

Which was in the capable hands of the dispenser.

"If you really need more help as much as you claim, then why don't you call Chase and ask him to fulfill his responsibilities instead of dragging my useless butt here?" he asked and I froze. It had been a week from the time I last talked to Chase and I hadn't seen him since. Not even in class. He was clearly avoiding me. "Where is he anyway?"

"Maybe he's just busy. Let's not bother him," I replied, folding the artwork material in my hand. "Pass me the scissors."

"Maybe? What's that supposed to mean? He's not the only one who's busy today. Wait, are you having a quarrel?"

"A little more cutting and pasting, and a lot less prying please," I suggested. He looked at me like he was trying to figure out the situation but decided to drop the matter. "Back to work, Brent. We have so much more to do."

"I still don't know why I need to be here. I have basketball practice after class. This is the only break I have and you're taking it away from me. I hate glitters!" he complained.