Chapter 10: Popularity Isn't Everything

CHAPTER 10: POPULARITY ISN'T EVERYTHING

Buttered popcorn, barbeque flavored chips, and empty cans of diet coke were sprawled across the coffee table in the living room. I was lying ungracefully on the long sofa, my feet rudely placed over the table, while watching an encore telecast of The Vampire Diaries.

There had been a continuous ring of the doorbell for some time now but I was too lazy to stand up and entertain any guest. The maids could kiss their jobs goodbye. Where in the world were they? They were supposed to open that freaking gate. The sound was undeniably disturbing. Whoever it was outside was very persistent. It would take a lot of determination to wait for someone like me. I did hope that person brought umbrella since it was raining cats and dogs. It had been raining nonstop these past few days.

I heard someone cough. I tore my gaze from Damon Salvatore and landed them on Dylan's face. He was standing inelegantly at the doorway, a conspicuous puddle of water under his feet. His hair was pulled down at the side of his head, his shirt and pants were wet, sticking to his body. The sight was pitiful and hilarious but my facial muscles were awfully uncooperative at the moment, leaving me impassive.

"You didn't open the gate. It will only take like, I don't know, seven seconds?" he asked, clearly not glad with his fate.

"How did you enter the house? Last time I checked the maids were AWOL," I grumbled, too tired to sit properly. It was just Dylan. Seeing me in a worn-out shirt and pajamas wasn't new to him. He wasn't like the other jocks who wanted fashionista girlfriends that used fake eyelashes even at home. And that's what I liked most about him.

"I climbed up the metal bars like a burglar. It was either that or I'd wait under the rain until I get sick. Are you even planning on gett-"

"No."

"Of course," he marched to the bathroom like this place was his own home. When he got back he was wearing his sweater and shorts that he left here last week while I was still in the exact same position as when he left me. He plopped down on the space beside me and rested his head on my lap. My hand automatically combed his hair, stroking it carefully. This scene was far too familiar. I liked Dylan a lot, especially when we're alone. The problem with him entered the picture when we were with someone else. He liked attention as much as I liked hot and sexy vampires that didn't sparkle under the sun.

I wanted to feel guilty about my deal with my sister but that would require thinking and when I started thinking, my mind would unconsciously travel and arrive at the worst destination: Chase. I couldn't deal with his bipolar personality right now. Not when I was on the verge of having an emotional breakdown.

The council members were not back yet. My sister and I couldn't switch places due to my bandaged wrist. I was thankful actually. The idea of having two boyfriends didn't sound pleasing to me now. When I agreed to this I thought I would have a break from Dylan Drama but it turned out I'd only let myself be sucked into a more complicated love equation and a hostile environment. It had drained all energy out of my body. No exaggerations meant.

Serene sauntered in the living room, her eyes widened at our comfortable positions. Her eyes went immediately to Dylan then to me. I raised an eyebrow at her. She received the secret message and her expression changed, the surprised look replaced by a heartwarming grin that could make the entire male student body swoon.

"Hey guys!" she chirped.

"What's up Ser?" Dylan sat up and reached for a bag of chips.

"Uh, H-hi D-Dylan!" she stammered as she walked towards us. She tripped on her own feet when he flashed a smile at her. Before she embarrassed herself any further, I took over.