12. Confronting Rose

Chapter 12

Confronting Rose

Edward’s face held a wide grin that had been missing since years. Annabelle was finally warming up to him after all. When he heard the faint ‘click’ of the door, indicating it was closed, he quietly made his way into the living room where Rose was sitting.

She was seated on the couch with her head tucked in between her knees. She was tired, that he could see. Edward went over towards her and took a seat on the smaller couch across her, and cleared his throat. Rose looked up and he could see the tired bags underneath her eyes.

Ignoring them, he said in a stern voice, “We need to talk.”

Rose found herself getting angry at his tone and was about snap at him when he held up his hand, silencing her reply. “Wait a second. Hear me out. I just want to know about your...straight-forwardness yesterday.”

Rose visibly gulped. ‘I should have seen this coming,’ she murmured under her breath.

Edward raised an eyebrow and said, “Care to explain why you were so keen on revealing to Annabelle, everything that had really happened and why you were bent on ruining my plans for Annabelle? I never expected this from you, Rose. If it were somebody else I would have understood but you? You know how much I love Belle, don’t you?”

Rose shook her head, seeing clearly that this time it was her mistake. She carefully replied, “Edward I know I made a mistake. I was simply talking to Annabelle and she brought up the topic about your date. I was feeling really guilty lying to her about it all and I decided to tell her.  I just thought-”

Edward cut her off and angrily roared in a very loud voice, “What did you think? Let me guess. You just thought that Annabelle would realise she loves me or loved me for that matter and come running back into my arms? Don’t you see she isn’t that type of a girl? She would freak out and build her walls up again which took me so long to break. It has taken me almost one entire month to get where I am with her today. With a few words by you, she would run away from me again. It would crush me if that happened again Rose. Can’t you see?” Edward paused and looked at Rose who was staring at him wide-eyed, shocked. He groaned and stood up walking to the window and facing his back to her.

Rose was utterly surprised at his outburst and it took her a few moments to go back to normal and when she did, she shook her head and dismissed the rude way he shouted at her. She understood that he was really very insecure right now. She walked up to him and placed her hand on his shoulder and said, “I understand my mistake Edward. I already did yesterday, when I was about to tell her.”

Edward looked back at her and sighed. “Fine, but please take care of such things in the future. I won’t tolerate anything when it comes to Annabelle or my progress with her. And don’t think I’ve forgiven you yet.”

Rose hid a smirk. She had wanted to add, ‘who needs your forgiveness anyway?’ but thought the better of it since she didn’t want to get him any angrier than he already was. Instead she just nodded and made her way into the kitchen to set dinner. Edward after all was like a brother to her and even when they fight as much as they would, they couldn’t ever stay angry at each other for long.

“Are you staying for dinner?” she asked him from the kitchen.

Edward considered it for a moment and said, “As much as I want to, I think I’ll pass. I do have work to do unlike ‘some people’,” he replied, putting emphasis on the last two words.

Rose furrowed her eyebrows, confused but as soon as she got his meaning, she shouted, “Oh please! I’m still searching for a school that requires teachers or something. Besides I’m always working though your sense of working and mine differ widely. But that doesn’t give you the reason to make fun of me, you jerk!”