The Better Of Two Evils

Chapter 9 – The Better Of Two Evils

{Amy POV}

My eyes darted everywhere at dinner that night; watching the twins watching Marilyn watching me… there was a lot of watching and waiting going on to be honest… like we all thought each other were time bombs just itching to go off at the slightest nudge. Oh, we all talked normally like nothing had transpired to encourage the looks we were giving each other… but it still hung there in the air above us…making my mind exaggerate every gesture and look I noticed Marilyn make… and it was starting to drive me bonkers…and then a severe storm warning flashed up onto the TV.

“Well… I guess we’re not going anywhere tonight…” Twiggy frowned, steepling his hands under his chin as he watched the TV.

“Yeah…” Marilyn murmured and, when I looked at him, I saw the thoughtful look he was giving me. “I guess we’re not…”

I sighed, turning my attention to Aden and Elsie. “You two finished?” I smiled as they both nodded and handed me their plates. “Alright, you two know the drill; teeth, toilet, pyjamas, bed…” I smirked slightly as I stood and took everyone’s dirty dishes to the kitchen. “Hop to munchkins! I’ll be there in a sec!”

“Rather a strict bedtime considering who their mother is…” I jumped and spun on the spot upon hearing Marilyn’s voice behind me; he chuckled at my nervous reaction. “Sorry.”

“Somehow, I doubt it.” I sighed, but I couldn’t help the small smile that crossed my face when I turned away to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher to run it…but that smile quickly erased itself. “So… you two are staying the night then?”

“We’ll have to…nothing’s moving in this deluge.” Marilyn sighed and I saw him lean back against the bench to my right. “Is it really so hard just to look at me?”

I sighed, closing the dishwasher and hitting start as I stood, folding my arms across my chest and leaning back on one foot as I looked at him. “Fine. I’ve looked at you now. Happy?”

He frowned slightly. “Have you really nothing nice to say to me? Did I treat you that harshly?”

I cringed mentally, perhaps I was being a little hard on him. After all… I was the one who ran off. I sighed and stepped forward, hugging him briefly. “I’m sorry.” I murmured, glad when he hugged me back; I smiled again as I breathed in, he smelled just how I remembered. I looked him over properly as I stepped out of the hug and moved to put away dinner’s leftovers. “I do like the new look…” I offered quietly. “It suits you.”

“Thanks.” He chuckled. “Was that so hard?”

I pursed my lips. “Further compliments might be if you continue that smug act with me, Marilyn.”

“I’m sorry…” I jumped slightly as I felt his arms slip around my waist from behind, his forehead resting on my shoulder. “I’ve missed you…”

I felt my resolve soften at his tone and I placed one of my hands over his at my waist. “I-”

“Mommy… we’re ready for bed…” I jumped as I heard Elsie’s adorable little voice and looked towards the kitchen door. “Will you read us a story?”

I swallowed as I removed Marilyn’s arms from me and went to kneel in front of Elsie, smiling again. “Of course! You go pick out two stories and I’ll be right there.”

“Okay!” she grinned and skipped off with her fluffy toy.

I heard Marilyn chuckle as I stood again. “I can see you in her…”