Fundamentally Loathsome

Chapter 6 - Fundamentally Loathsome

{Amy POV}

{1999 – three years later…}

I smiled as I heard the excited squealing of small children getting closer to my room, pretending to be asleep as the door banged open and two young voices laughed loudly as they jumped on my bed.

“Mommy! Wake up!” my little Elsie said happily, poking my arm.

“Yes, mommy, wake up…” Aden, her twin, continued for her. “You have to wake up because it’s your birthday…there’s presents and everything!”

I smiled at their adorable little voices and turned in the blankets; grabbing them both around their tummies and pulling them to me in a tickling hug that made them squeal and call out to my sister Tess and her five year old boy, their cousin, Chandler. I winked at my sister as she appeared in the door and smiled at me.

“Alright, alright, she’s awake now.” Tess smiled at Elsie and Aden as they scampered off the bed and ran out of the room to find Chandler. “Happy twenty-fourth by the way.” She smirked at me.

I sighed as she came and sat on the bed and I got up and pulled on day clothes. “I swear they only turned three last week… how can it be my birthday already?!”

“Easily, you love working at that tattoo parlour and are happy at home as well, so time flies by.” Tess shrugged as she chucked a shirt at me. “So you don’t notice how two months just happen to have gone past…ad now you’re twenty four.” Her smug smile turned sweetly sarcastic. “Aww! My baby sister’s all grown up!”

“Not completely I’d hope.” I laughed with her as I tugged on my converse and we walked out to the kitchen.

“No, still a kid at heart…makes us good moms.” Tess winked at me as her husband kissed her cheek and said goodbye as he left for work.

I sighed as I sat down and Tess poured me a coffee. “Ah…I love that my weekends start on Fridays.”

“Which you can only do because you’re a published, well-loved writer.” Tess smirked a little. “I love that you finally made that dream come true.”

I shrugged. “My passions are art, writing, and music…had to make at least two of those work for me.” I smiled a confused smile as Tess pulled an envelope from her back pocket and placed it on the counter in front of me. “What’s this?” I asked with a half-smile.

“You made two of your passions work for you, yes…but it’s high time you enjoyed more of the third.” Tess beamed at me and nodded to the envelope eagerly. “Go on! Open it!”

I smiled at her enthusiasm and shook my head slightly as I ripped the envelope open…but my eyes widened in shock as I pulled out the contents. “Oh, wow…” I felt my throat tighten as I looked at the ticket in my hand…a ticket to the last performance in Seattle…of Marilyn Manson. “Oh, Tess, you shouldn’t have…” I trailed off, smiling at the happy look on her face.

“Yes, I should. You’re my baby sister and you’ve done it rough these past couple of years…but now we’ve all got some money to splurge, and I know how much you love his music,” she wrapped an arm about my shoulders as I stared at the ticket. “I mean, you’ve got every album he’s every brought out and we are home to take care of the twins…” she looked at me worriedly for a moment. “Oh, do you not like it?”

“No, no!” I smiled up at her, amazed at the thought she’d put into this. “It’s fantastic…I’m just in shock.” I looked back at the ticket. I couldn’t go to this…could I? What if he saw me?! How was I gonna explain…I stopped mid-thought. Who gave a toss if I went. He’s moved on since then… “Yeah, this is great.” I smiled up at Tess. “I can’t wait!”

***

I swallowed as I looked up at the sign outside the arena; slowly reading ‘Marilyn Manson -Last Tour On Earth’ as warm up music was played. With a sigh and a backward glance, I slipped silently into the venue, showing my ticket when necessary and found a place near enough to the front I’d see clearly but far enough back that the crowd hid me… and then the lights went down and an eerie screeching filled the air.

“This isn’t me, I’m not mechanical…” Marilyn’s voice stated roughly, his voice made robotic by the sound engineers for the performance. “Ladies and gentlemen…Omega and the Mechanical Animals…”

And then the music began…

***

I smiled, happy I’d come to this gig…who knew when I’d ever get that close to him again. I headed towards one of the side doors of the arena, intending to leave. I gasped as I was pulled into a back room by someone. I was about to scream when the person turned me in their arms and I saw it was Jeordie; a look of shock, rage, and joy, etched across his face as, crying, we pulled each other into a tight hug.

“Where the fuck have you been?” Jeordie laughed, crying with me as we pulled out of the hug. “Have you any idea what you put me through? What you put Aaron through?”

“Aaron knew I was okay.” I defended feebly, hugging him again tightly. “Oh, I missed you so much!”

“Where were you?” he asked, stroking my hair.

I pulled out of the hug, letting him go. “I was here, in Seattle, with my sister and her husband and their young boy.”

“Why?!” Jeordie demanded. “You just vanished! Without letting me know you were safe! And without ever giving a reason-”

“I had good reason!” I snapped back, both of us freezing as we felt another presence in the room.

“Oh my God…” I heard an all too familiar voice. “A-Amy?”

Trembling, I slowly turned to face the newcomer, my voice not nearly as confident as I wanted it when I finally spoke. “Marilyn…

__________________________________________

As promised, another quick update ;)