Chapter One: Ghosts

Copyright © 2019 Brooke Saylor
All rights reserved.

"Magick, in the context of  Aleister Crowley's Thelema, is a term used to show and differentiate the occult  from performance magic and is defined as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will ", including both "mundan...

"Magick, in the context of  Aleister Crowley's Thelema, is a term used to show and differentiate the occult from performance magic and is defined as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will ", including both "mundane" acts of will as well as ritual magic. Crowley wrote that "it is theoretically possible to cause in any object any change of which that object is capable by nature". John Symonds and Kenneth Grant attach a deeper occult significance to this preference.

Crowley saw Magick as the essential method for a person to reach true understanding of the self and to act according to one's true will, which he saw as the reconciliation "between freewill and destiny." Crowley describes this process in his Magick, Book 4:

"One must find out for oneself, and make sure beyond doubt, who one is, what one is, why one is ...Being thus conscious of the proper course to pursue, the next thing is to understand the conditions necessary to following it out. After that, one must eliminate from oneself every element alien or hostile to success, and develop those parts of oneself which are specially needed to control the aforesaid conditions. (Crowley, Magick, Book 4 p.134)""

--Wiki Links to Magick

_________________________________

Being a closet witch in the South is like being a mouse hiding in the cupboards as you walk through the kitchen in the middle of the night. No one can quite place why you smell like sage and bonfire smoke as you walk through the hallways, but they always assume it's because you're just the town weirdo. In fact, my whole family was labeled the town freaks when we moved here 15 years ago. We knew no one, and no one knew us, although my mother had funded the local "Feed a Pet" foundation and my father was a Science Professor at Emory University.

When I was a child I once asked my father, "If you're so scientific Daddy, how can you still believe in magick?" And he told me that everything we do as witches can be explained, or at least theorized, by science.

Our energy creates all of our spells, and we send them to do our bidding with visual manifestation. The only part we have to believe in blindly is our Goddess. Now I wondered if I had seen a slight bit of doubt in my father's belief toward the end.

I still have his Book of Shadows, and the last month before he died he never wrote a single word.

My father was murdered four years ago, and his killer, or killers, still hasn't been found. I don't think the police or detectives on the case really knew how to take it. He was found dismembered and decapitated, with his limbs and entrails making a circle around his head. I was never supposed to know those details, but my mother couldn't stop the whispers and I couldn't stop listening. I knew his death had to be related to his faith, but I was never able to really piece it together.